October 21, 2012 - Octoberfest Photofest

Troubled corner

1070120.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Barrie

I'm cheating a little, this image was taken late last night but since you folks on the other side of the planet were already celebrating October 21st, and since I'd already posted my October 20th image, I'm bumping this one forward.

Mostly I'd like to post it here to share a little scene from Vancouver as seen through the eyes of Vancouver artist Stan Douglas. What you are looking at is a photo mural of a scene from the 1971 Vancouver Gastown Riot. Article.

What makes this image all the more remarkable is that is of a re-enactment performed under Douglas's direction some thirty eight years later in 2009. Here are some press photos from that day.

I'd known about this installation but somehow haven't managed to visit it until last night.

20121020-R0018442.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Admiring "Abbott & Cordova"

We are rather famous for our riots but not all are about hockey here.

What's amazing is that an image of a riot adorns a prominent inner city square with high priced market housing overlooking it. We moved to Vancouver the year after this occurred and even to my then young ears it seemed as if there were still reverberations within the community. It's a different city today although we still have our issues from time to time.

Back