October 31, 2012 - Octoberfest Photofest

The light was flat and boring on my morning walk with the dogs and Sandy's winds are still howling across the lake. So I'm afraid you got stuck with another dog photo for the last day of the fest from my corner of the world. Thanks to all who joined in whether for one day or for all. :drinks: I'm done now....and I think I'll take a few days off.
View attachment 61521
the case of the missing bubbler by Lukinosity, on Flickr

The will o' the wisps are a dancing tonight

1050410.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Barrie

Thank you Luke and everyone else who has hung in there for these 31 days of October! At times it has been the most natural thing in the world, while at other times it has been a challenge - don't you think?:eek::D

My final shot taken this evening on the darkened streets of Kent, Connecticut. This happens to be my neighbor up there. I came upon her by chance and she said hello... I knew she was familiar but it took me a few seconds to realize who she was.

It's been a great 31 days - and a challenge to use only my iPhone to take photos. Three cheers to everyone!:clap2:

8143541928_b4cb7eb348_z.jpg

Thanks everyone for participating, I truly enjoyed looking at every single image!

Quite apart from the photographic experience over the last month, the push | urge | need to create something daily did help me in other ways. I'm thinking hard about how to fit other aspects of life that are important to me - including heath and art - into each day.

I also learned something quite practical, thanks to the sudden turn for the worse in the weather around here. I have to make the time early in the day for photography and that also goes for getting out for a run or ride or walk too!

Motivated properly now, I'm going to be doing a one a day project - one camera, one lens - for all of 2013 and welcomed this October Photofest as a chance to build the habit into my psyche and plan to keep going at it through the end of the year.

Reactions: BBW
Motivated properly now, I'm going to be doing a one a day project - one camera, one lens - for all of 2013
I think the idea of an image a day for a year sounds great, but I have never been motivated by the desire to limit one's self on the equipment choice to undertake these kinds of project. Except when I use to shoot SX70s, even in the Polaroid transfer days, I switched back and forth between 8X10 and 4X5cameras.
On the other hand, I can see limiting myself on the subject or time of day, for example just shooting a bridge or sunrise time frame image a day more than only using one camera and lens per day.
Who knows my thoughts just may come from owning too many cameras, best of luck on your project.
I might just dust off my GRDIV and bring it to Vancouver, today.

Bob, you just have too many cameras. :) No, seriously, your work depends on having the right tool for the right application and naturally you are switching gears all the time. I can't imagine using the same tool or approach to solve problems every day in my business.

I understand completely where you are coming from - thanks very much for the comments - and truthfully I feel a little apprehensive about restricting myself in terms of camera/format rather than picking a single subject or some other theme to see how many ways I can approach it.

Maybe I'll blend both notions together and take on a series of themes over the year... hmnn... that's not a bad idea. I'm still thinking about what I want to do and appreciate the feedback. Rather than solely taking each day as it comes I'm going to come up with some sort of a plan to help guide things or rescue me when need be.

Apprehensive or not, I think it'll be fun for me. I've done the one camera one lens thing, not entirely successfully by my own appraisal, a couple times over the past year and actually enjoyed the restriction. Restricting myself to a minimal configuration certainly helps to ensure I always have a camera with me, but that's mere mechanics and I'd like to stretch a lot more over the coming year.

PS: You are going to miss monsoon rains - that was yesterday. Had to head out to the street to rake leaves up on to the sidewalk and clear drains lest the water run off down the street start flooding yards around here. Forecast for today is merely showers with breaks in between. Yay.

Congrats to all who worked hard on shooting their daily assignment. :)

Can I also echo these words by Kristen. I was one of the few, possibly the only one who didn't post their thanks on each individual post, however I did look at them all and was once again taken with the wide range of entries submitted. So I'd like to take this opportunity for a block thank you to everyone who took part, and good on you Luke for your efforts and encouragement.

Barrie

Well, I am fairly new around here, and I throughly enjoyed seeing the variety if images. A big thanks to all who participated full are part time.
When my kids were smaller I did a picture a week project on each of the three of them for a year at a time. I completed a total of six years of that.
More than half of those images were taken with film technology. That made it difficult as you weren't always sure you had a good image for each week until you got the processing back.
I didn't use any restrictions on camera equipment. In fact, owning a variety of cameras, it was a good way to practice with using them all. Now when I look back on those projects it was all worth it. It is a cool record of the some very busy years. This Octoberfest project reminded of those projects. It made me remember how difficult it was to come up with a good image of each child every week.

I really enjoyed looking at everyone's posts and I must admit I really liked doing it here, rather than in the gallery which was hard to keep up with. Unfortunately I was one of those who fell by the wayside, often, and that was for unavoidable stuff going on here... not the least of which was a lack of motivation.

Kudos to Kristen and Luke for getting it all happening, and especially to Luke for keeping on top of the forum sections and general organisational stuff. Brilliant work, you two!

I'd also like to thank Kristen for all the work she did getting everything going and compiling that list (and I REALLY enjoyed watching some of the shots that resulted...I wish I had the guts to try them).

I was also amazed by the skills of the newer faces. Maybe new to the forum, but clearly not new to photography.

Excellent work all.

Back