Odd behavior with face detection

Discussion in 'Sony RX100 Forum' started by sonypentax, Sep 6, 2012.

1. sonypentax

sonypentax New to SC

I have had the Sony RX100 for a few days and today I noticed an oddity. Maybe it's a setting I don't understand. I was shooting photos when I noticed a few images were suddenly appearing cropped horizontally both sizes when reviewing them. When I looked at them in my edit software it turns out the images were turned on their side. I'm positive I did not tilt the camera vertical. Any ideas as to what would cause that?

As I review the images in-camera I see there's an icon in the left upper area of the screen with these particular images. It shows a smiley face with a square around it. Smile/Face Detection (Regist. Faces) is on. So I guess there's something going on here with face detection.

Thanks.

2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Are you shooting them in "portrait" orientation and it is just displaying them rotated "right-side up" or is it actually cropping your photo?

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    There's a setting to auto crop a portrait. It sounds like that is what is going on. The camera will recognize a portrait and attempt to crop it to the best frame.
    It's in the menus.

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    zoinks! That's a crazy setting.