Fuji Odd behaviour following firmware 2.0 upgrade or me being dumb?

Rob barker

I've noticed a massive improvement in focus performance and like the changed look and feel of low light images, but I have also noticed a couple of foibles..

The camera has stared changing a couple of settings of it's own accord when the battery is changed (I think) and I've experienced the following:

- viewfinder will only work as an electronic one and Weill not switch to optical.

- auto DR is disabled and can't be selected

- film type and colour settings reset to standard from my default Astia, colour +1

It mostly sorts itself out with a reset, but auto DR refuses to work.

User error, firmware glitch or faulty camera do we think?

The camera removes all your chosen settings with an update, and returns to default. This would explain the Astia change.

Not sure about the VF. Is it possible you have selected Macro mode?

I'm sure it's been resetting itself during a battery change too. It's possible I didn't follow the instruction to turn the camera off first I suppose, must be more careful there.

Unintentional selection of macro mode is the obvious explanation for the viewfinder so I'll put gat down to lack of familiarity..

I still can't select auto dynamic range though, which is very annoying given that it's such a killer feature. I might try reflashing the firmware and see if that works..

I can't recall now, but there are certain setting at which the auto dynamic range will not work because of the WAY auto dynamic range works. Is it at ISO setting below 800 where it won't work? You could try turning on auto ISO and see if this fixes your concerns. I'm sure that was reset as well during firmware update.

It doesn't seem to like manual mode - back on aperture priority and the auto DR option is back in play.

The conclusion appears to be operator error then!

These little quirks aside I have to say I am blown over by some of shots this machine produces.

Back