1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oh good god...

Discussion in 'News and Rumors' started by Boid, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Recipe for an exciting adventure:

What you need is (a) a gold-plated Nikon, (b) some really outstanding health insurance and/or life insurance, and (c) a wild urge to shoot "street" in a economically depressed neighborhood.

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 5
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I hope the hip hop moguls that buy this like WIDE angle photography. a 14-24mm lens on a full frame body is a very limiting choice. And it's not like any other lenses will look right on that body.

Also, the stingray skin is pretty dope.

C'mon, BRIKK, where's the Fuji?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Well, that's just stupid... :cool:

I wouldn't even want it if you GAVE it to me, unless the gold content alone was worth enough to melt it down and sell it for a LOT and scrap the burnt out camera/lens...

-Ray

4. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Hey, they published a photo of my new camera without asking my approval. I wanted to present it to y'all first.
    So I see no other choice than send it back.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    ya know, a steam punk one that is made with copper that would discolor over time would be cooler, but you couldn't charge a ton for it

• Like Like x 2
  6. biglouis

biglouis SC Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    I can't imagine a bigger waste of money.

LouisB

7. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    ooooooooo, shiney. . .

I like the silver bodies, but I've never seen a gold body that looks good. Not sure why.

8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    You could say the same thing about gold watches, too.

9. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    It all depends on the type of watch.....this is a classic model (I know others hate it!). Let's turn this into a gold thread. ;-)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    And this, when people are starving and homeless. If I had money to throw away on crap like this, I wouldnt. I'd probably put it into medical research instead.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    Slippery slope there Sue - you could legitimately make that point about probably 80% of the stuff some of us buy around here. It's just that we perceive real value with most of what we buy, so it seems more justifiable than this, which is purely bling. But really, a $6000 Leica or D4s or something would seem just as obscene to anyone not WAY into photography...

-Ray

12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    No slippery slopes there, Ray. I take your point but gold plating on a camera is way way beyond anything I would spend on, even if I could afford it. I stand by my comment.

13. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Nikon, Olympus and others have done this sort of thing for decades. They used to give them as gifts to top dealers. I have seen a gold FA and an OM4 before now, nof to mention the Leica Luxus edition in the 1920's... Nothing new here, just eternally tasteless.

14. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    Yeppers!
    To many folks, an E-PL3 with the kit lens is a HUGE purchase!

Case in point, I know a homeless guy that about 2x a year, posts to Flickr. I offered him my old E-PL1 and he was most gracious!
    (Now I just gotta find him to give it to him)..

15. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    I agree with you completely Sue. I'm just making the point that a lot of stuff you and I buy would elicit the same reaction from most in the world. When so many are hungry, how do we even justify having several hundred dollars worth of camera equipment (let alone a few thousand) when anyone's phone can take a decent photo today. I own a Nikon Df (non gold plated version) and several lenses for it. Worth more than many on the planet make in a year. I could find it very difficult to justify that too, if I thought about it that way very often. I'm just saying it's tough to throw stones when I live in a glass house myself, albeit a much smaller one than someone who spends $40 grand on a gold plated camera...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  16. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    and with how soft gold is, can you imagine if anyone actually USED it.....it would be all scratched up and nasty.

17. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue

Good Lord, its not for actually USING!! Its only use is its pose value and I'm afraid thats completely lost on me :)

18. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Gold is pretty in small touches. I'm fine with gold watches. I assume this camera is more for collectors than photographers.

19. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    I don't why with cases like these, the finger is pointed at buyer......costs a bit to make these types of toys too but the purchasers always seem bear most of the brunt.

No makers = no buyers.