1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Okay, I'll admit it: I'm a total classless low-life when it comes to post processing

Discussion in 'Panasonic/Leica Forum' started by Jock Elliott, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    On Monday, my wife and I went to one of our favorite places on earth: Peebles Island. It sits at the confluence of the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers in upstate New York.

As we stepped around the corner of the Waterford Visitors Center, I took the following photo with the FZ150 at its widest focal length:

Peebles_Island_003_Medium_.JPG

I liked the composition (the leading lines of the sidewalk and the bridge) but it looked kinda flat to me.

So I edited it in Picasa, which is a freebie photo editing tool from Google. One of the settings is called HDR-ish. It used it and some other adjustments to get this:

Peebles_Island_003-001_Medium_.JPG

I like the way the bricks and bridge look really sharp but the sky has gone a bit wonky and the hills under the bridge have gone blue. Nevertheless, it has a kind of punch to it.

So then I wondered what would happen if I convert it to B&W. Here's the result:

Peebles_Island_003-002_Medium_.JPG

It reminds me a bit of some of the excellent high-contrast monochrome that some of the folks display here on seriouscompacts.

Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Hey, don't feel bad. I'm not a heavy post-processor myself. iPhot came with my Mac. I use that most of the time.

3. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    St Charles river walk?

4. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Isoterica,

Actually, Visitor's Center, Waterford, NY.

5. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Partial to the BW myself. It appears you are shooting into the sun. The picture would look very different if the sun was up higher or behind you.

6. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    It looks so very much like a place here in Illinois.. I will dig through my photos and see if I can find a shot to share. :)