1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"Old" camera technology Bargains

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by mta1963, Jan 29, 2014.

1. mta1963

mta1963 SC Rookie

Sep 12, 2012
    I Treated myself today. A brand new NEX7 with kit lens for £770.
    Ive always wanted to have a proper go with the Nex-7 and fondled it in camera shops when it was launched and when, from memory, the body alone was £1000 ish.
    Its amazing in this consumer driven age just how quickly price of "old" technology drops.

I know the Nex-7 is quirky, different and a little odd but....................:smile:

Happy Days.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Ain't nuthin' wrong with a brand-new, discounted NEX7 at all. Enjoy. :wink:

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    i might get me one of those NEX7s. In a couple years when they're around $250. No one needs to be first on the block anymore with how fast camera tech has shot through the roof.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lucille

Lucille SC Veteran

Aug 20, 2012
    Hepcat City

And it takes just as fine of a picture as it ever has.....

5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Old??? I just bought a camera from 1969 -1973. And I don't think of it as old. And the 7 element 5 group 42mm G Zuiko is still a contender.

Of course the first date is when I graduated from high school, and the second is when I would have finished college if I hadn't taken an extra semester. Cameras made when I was born might be old (though I'm not!) but not those from 1969.

6. Lucille

Lucille SC Veteran

Aug 20, 2012
    Hepcat City

Heh, here is my 2 latest purchases...

1129-2.

• Like Like x 4
  7. mta1963

mta1963 SC Rookie

Sep 12, 2012
    Wow great looking cameras, How old are they? Do you still use them or are they part of a collection? (or both)

My first proper camera (OM1D) back in the early 1980s lasted me decades before it got part-exchanged for something digital. :redface:

Regards

8. Agreed

9. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Yep, my latest purchase is from 1953 - both the body and lens. Sorry for the repost of the photo, but it makes a different point :wink:
    12163609494_95d679beac_b.
    new old friend by stillshunter, on Flickr

Next I'm thinking of trading in the dSLR for a compact of the same vintage as the NEX-7, an LX-7/DLux6 or maybe G16 :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    You have probably bought it at a great time and not just because it has been discounted. Everyone who bought it because it was the next big thing has since moved on to (you guessed it) the next big thing, so you've missed all the "why I dumped the NEX-7 for the ...xxx... shenanigans. All that's left is to enjoy your new camera take some great photos with it. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 3
  11. norman shearer

norman shearer SC Veteran

I was tempted to get a NEX 7 recently myself (to replace my 5N). Prices have dropped recently and now you can get a 2nd hand NEX 7 for around £400 - £450 (body only). In the end I could not convince myself it was that much of an upgrade so instead elected to upgrade my E-PL5 for a Panasonic GX7. Maybe get a NEX 7 by year end if funds permit..

12. Susan Sande

Susan Sande SC Veteran

Aug 3, 2011
    Upper left USA
    I have always wanted to pick up an Agfa 1280. It was my first digital camera back in, was it 1997? My we've come a long ways! At the time I thought the IQ coming from the Agfa was head and shoulders above what was coming from other consumer digital camera output I saw from friend's and work project cameras. I'd love to take a look and see if I am still of the same opinion.

13. mta1963

mta1963 SC Rookie

Sep 12, 2012
    Thanks for all the comments and the pictures of the great looking film cameras, they really are stunning looking pieces of kit.

I must keep an eye out during my frequent visits to boot sales and garage sales!

I wonder how long it will be before the early digital units are desireable/collectable?

Thanks again

14. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Some already are…
    - Fuji F30/31fd
    - Ricoh GRD1
    - Olympus C5050/C8080
    - Olympus E1
    - Leica Digilux2/Panasonic LC-1
    - Fuji X100 :laugh1:

….not wanting to give too many more of them away in case you elbow me out of the way at the next car boot sale :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Now where does the CF Card fit

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Oh I thought an SD card went into that slotty bit just below the viewfinder….

17. mta1963

mta1963 SC Rookie

Sep 12, 2012

OKayyy - I can feel a "list" "old" digital cameras to watch out for starting! :redface:

18. 0dBm

0dBm SC Rookie

Jan 26, 2014
    Southern California
    Since its introduction, you likely have sharpened your skills some. Sooooo, you can make use of its capabilities to greater extent. Congrats!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    i remember spending hours a day fretting over getting my oly c3030zoom or the similar spec offering from nikon and ricoh. i dont think i paid any attn to the image quality coming out of them. it was all about the way i thought itd feel in my hands, and make me feel while using them. i got the oly c3030z and loved it! it finally died tho... i need to find a smart media memory card reader and see whats on that card! lol

20. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    i STILL need to pick up an e1... WHY did i get talked into a d70 instead?! BAH... i hated that d70! and i kept going back to the store to hold the e1.. it just felt so perfect in my hand... the d70 was my first "but but but.. the SPECS!" mistake. lol