Sony "Old" camera technology Bargains

I was tempted to get a NEX 7 recently myself (to replace my 5N). Prices have dropped recently and now you can get a 2nd hand NEX 7 for around £400 - £450 (body only). In the end I could not convince myself it was that much of an upgrade so instead elected to upgrade my E-PL5 for a Panasonic GX7. Maybe get a NEX 7 by year end if funds permit..

Similarly, I've long wanted to pick up an NEX 6 with the 16-50mm pancake zoom. I figured I'd add the Sigma 19mm and 30mm primes and I'd have a great little APS-C kit. But when the GX7 came out with the built-in EVF - and the price dropped to $728 for the body-only option - I went for that, figuring I had all those micro four-thirds lenses already.

i STILL need to pick up an e1... WHY did i get talked into a d70 instead?! BAH... i hated that d70! and i kept going back to the store to hold the e1.. it just felt so perfect in my hand... the d70 was my first "but but but.. the SPECS!" mistake. lol
So funny I did the EXACT same thing. …but the regret got too much and I ended up getting an E1 after I sold the D70. Got to say that 14-54/2.8-3.5 was a stellar lens. If I needed to take a digital camera into a war zone then the E1 would be my choice. It could be hit by a mortar and still work, and be used as a cannonball….and still work.

whomever in Japan is trying to sell that slick white E-P1
Ah so 'market forces' are literally just that…and they are mobilised against the individual 'consumer'. :hmmm:
…I think its curious is all…not having a go at you particularly mate. ;) I wonder if we experienced the same phenomenon in our hunter/gatherer phase - well I suppose we called them Gods then?…like some refer to Prada and Rolex I s'pose.

Finally had a play with my new "Old" technology Sony

My biggest worry after reading the reviews was that the NEX 7 would be REALLY complicated but its quite easy to use really.

A big plus for me is that its really well built and will take a good knock about :), Lots to learn but should be fun!

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 122
So funny I did the EXACT same thing. …but the regret got too much and I ended up getting an E1 after I sold the D70. Got to say that 14-54/2.8-3.5 was a stellar lens. If I needed to take a digital camera into a war zone then the E1 would be my choice. It could be hit by a mortar and still work, and be used as a cannonball….and still work.

i just need to cave in and get one from keh.. whatever is cheapest and most beat up and unusable.. itll just sit on a shelf for nostalgia anyway! lol

I must say, I've lately been interested most in cameras that have recently gone out of production but aren't that outdated. I just picked up a Fuji X-E1 with the 18mm and 27mm primes (no kit zoom), and the Nikon J1 with the two kit zooms and the 10mm pancake prime.

I have to say, £770 is quite a big number for me to consider it a "bargain".

To me, that's a month's rent, petrol, food and a dozen rolls of film.

Now if it was £7 ...

That was back when I didnt think I could justify having many many cameras. Now, I dont care. Much.

I agree. I used to worry about that. But now, I can see the time fast approaching when I won't have much money to spend on cameras at all. Already I'm being a lot more frugal about my purchases. But I'm attempting to try as many different cameras that interest me as I can and have a nice collection that'll last a number of years going forward.

I agree. I used to worry about that. But now, I can see the time fast approaching when I won't have much money to spend on cameras at all. Already I'm being a lot more frugal about my purchases. But I'm attempting to try as many different cameras that interest me as I can and have a nice collection that'll last a number of years going forward.

I think this is why I still haven't sold my K5 and lenses. I can NOT afford to replace those, if I was to sell (because it would be at a huge loss) so I'm hanging on. I'm already in that "not much money" phase and have been for a couple of years. Last major purchase was the J1 and then V1 but only because they were (relatively speaking) cheap at the time.

We should start a loan lease system for underused old stuff - its the only way I could afford / justify another camera

We should start a loan lease system for underused old stuff - its the only way I could afford / justify another camera

:hmmm: This idea has some merit. I wonder how it might work beyond just the theory? I'd certainly participate. ...and no, not just as a perpetual lendee. :blush:

This is a subject isn't it - old v new? I've used Canon SLR & DSLR kit for years both as an amateur and professionally, it was only when I got totally fed up toting the whole heavy mess around in rucksacks with me that I decided it was time for a re think. I went to compacts for a while and have to say, I love them, but I've still got a Canon DSLR I use for motor sport, for which it's untouchable but for every day stuff and travels I found compacts a bit limiting, so went out & bought an Oly E-PL5. Of course going to a different system means more "investment" which doesn't come easily on a retirement pension.

The kit lens for the PL5 is ok as far as kit lenses go - better than the 18-55 thing I got with the Canon that's for sure - but as we all know, prime lenses rule. The cost of the Oly 75 & 45, both of which I considered buying, was well above what I was willng to pay for camera gear - so legacy lenses it was. The first was a Pentax 50mm f1.7 M SMC, listed on e.bay under a wrong heading (I look for stuff like that on e.bay and it sometimes pays off) was picked up for the princely sum of £15 and when it arrived here turned out to be immaculate, looks like new! I highly recommend this lens. A few test shots have shown it to be sharp as you like with excellent colour rendition straight OOC - in RAW. Second one was bought this very morning, a Carl Zeiss 135mm f3.5 Sonnar with 42mm mount - £40 complete with an EOS adaptor so I can use it with the Canon as well (I've got plans for that one). I'm now looking for a 28mm and a 35mm primes to complete the "stable". (there may be a 75mm at some point as well :)) Total cost of this lot will eventually run to about £150 at most - not bad stacked against £1000 for two native Oly lenses - hey, I can manual focus, it's no big deal!

Manual focusing is something I never had a problem with back in the film days so it's not a problem now, and if it saves the thick end of £850 then I'm happy to do it. The two lenses I have bought so far have been well researched and offer great performance. The native Oly lenses may well be slightly better in sharpness etc but £1000 worth? I don't think so, especially when we have Photoshop at our disposal. Old kit still has lots to offer at affordable prices so Olympus, Sony and Pansonic etc would do well remember that before setting their product retail pricing. :)

Back