Olympus Announces Three New Pen Cameras and Two New Lenses

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Jul 3, 2010
  2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Boy, I do like a tilting screen...now that I've experience the one on the NEX.

Interesting that they have a built in flash on the E-P3 while there's a removable one on the other two. Of course the lenses sound excellent!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I wonder what the marketing strategy was for giving the EPL3 the tilt screen, but not to the "flagship" m4/3. Similarly, the EPL3 has faster continuos shooting than EP3.

If I were getting one of the new Pens, my pick would be a white EPL3 with the leather half case.

And the lenses are definitely pretty exciting stuff. Both lenses appear to be metal construction. The 45/1.8 is priced at $399 and the 12/2 is $799.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Armanius,

I'm wondering about the faster fps shooting too. The OLED, if its like the xz1 will be gorgeous. The E-pl3 has everything I'd ever want...... except a grip. I really thought the E-P3 would be significantly better than the lite version. It doesn't appear to be the case. One thing to note is on the flip screen, its 16:9. Losing a good bit of resolution when shooting 4:3. I also wonder if the difference in display tech is why there is a difference in shooting FPS.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Hmmm ... not sure why having an OLED screen would affect the FPS?

Oly is apparently selling a nice looking leather half case that goes on the EPL3, which provides a small grip. Check out the pics in ephotozine.com (http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-pen-lite-e-pl3-hands-on-preview-16847) for the EPL3 with the leather half case. I think it's gorgeous!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Djarum

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Great find, but still not large enough for my bear paws, lol. It is a nice looking case though.

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    That Pen 3 and both lenses are just plum sexi.
    Hey, hey.... That's right sexi stuff....
    I just love the form of the Pen 1 and the 3 is close .....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Photorx12

Photorx12 SC Regular

May 31, 2011

Funny you say that, I just sold my GF1 with all accesories today to make room for the white EPl3 when it becomes available. The money I just made should cover it, now which lens would you reccomend?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo! Subscribing Member

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I think these cameras from Olympus are a significant step forward for Micro 4/3 and a real commitment for Olympus in this sector. I'm really interested in looking at the E-PM1 as it looks like a XZ-1 but with interchangeable lens system. Looking forward to seeing these in our shop.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I miss a wide angle, though I still have my LX5 which does offer that quite nicely. I think I see the world in a wider view than many, or I like to shoot that way at least.

• Like Like x 1
  11. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    Oooh - GAS attack! I wrote a post a while ago saying that if the e-pl1 could add a higher-res screen, a tiltable screen and better ISO performance, that would be my dream camera. I think I have to put my money where my mouth is.

I can't believe that it was less than a year ago that I bought the e-pl1. Product cycles sure are short these days.

I'm glad that Olympus and Sony continue to push innovation forward!

• Like Like x 2
  12. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Kevin, I was just thinking of you this morning... I was taking my walk with my dog...and noticed several GAS signs.

Though previously dedicated to Armando, I think there's more than enough GAS to go around. :biggrin:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/otra/5793820905/" title="6-11-29.jpg by BBW: BB Wylie Walden, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="680" alt="6-11-29.jpg"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  13. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    Fortunately, the e-pl3 is not available immediately because although my camera GAS had abated, my apple gear had not .... I am a one week owner of a 27" iMac and have become "one of us, one of us". I am loving it as much as i thought i would.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Nice machine. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 3
  15. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Yes, a very wonderful machine! Just think how much more I could see if I had one, too!:biggrin: Congratulations Kevin...now we are almost blood relatives.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Djarum

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Some useless information.

The E-PL3 uses a 16:9 widescreen that is 460,000 dots. If shooting in 4:3 mode, the amount of dots used would be around 344,000 dots. Better than my E-P1, but not great.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Both the 12/2 and 45/1.8! :smile:

18. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I think the E-P3 would be my choice. Features seem well in advance of the other two, and pricing isn't that bad, really. (Compared, for example, to pentaxQ)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 8, 2010
    I pre-ordered the E-P3, but I like the swivel screen of the E-PL3. I also pre-ordered the 12mm lens. The E-P3 is one beautiful camera. I really like where Olympus is going with the system.

Several cameras going on the block in trade. Simplify and downsize.

• Like Like x 1
  20. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I'm almost at that point too. Thinking of selling all my Pentax gear in order to buy in to a decent MFT system. This last crop from Olympus have me convinced that PEN is the way to go.

• Like Like x 1