Micro 4/3 Olympus EM-1 Image Thread

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
There's a GX7 image thread but not one for the EM1? May mean there's not enough demand, but I'll start one and see if anyone else wants to post to it. If not, I'll let it die and just post on MU-43.com.

-Ray

I'm really enjoying having a fully weather sealed setup, which the EM1 and the 12-40 is. In thinking about what I might want/need to sell to get the Nikon Df, I'm sure one m43 body will go and that's probably the GX7. I'd thought about selling the 12-40 but it's too good and too versatile. I don't use a zoom a lot, but there are times when only a zoom will do and this is a REALLY good one. Walked around today in the dumping snow:

View attachment 85203
West Chester Snow Day by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 85204

12291211433_fb9597a55d_b.jpg

View attachment 85206

View attachment 85207

View attachment 85208

12291605726_97daa1b178_b.jpg

And our sweet little dog watching the snow come down from a cozy perch on the couch with my wife:

12291600986_e98d130657_b.jpg

-Ray

And a few older ones from the week around New Year's Day at the beach in North Carolina:

Our daughters and dog on the one really warm day:
11629132226_fe910dfaf2_b.jpg

Carolina Beach by ramboorider1, on Flickr

11633884964_4bfcf043c9_b.jpg

Beach Walk-63-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 85213
COLD Beach Walk-99-Edit-2 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

11634296266_9403f5e435_b.jpg

Beach Walk-76-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

11633861025_a0acd9c730_b.jpg

Beach Walk-3-2-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

11659854366_ba30db134a_b.jpg

Monday-62-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

11633856814_ec4939d0d0_b.jpg

Beach Walk-25-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

11659095605_f239ed11be_b.jpg

Monday-49-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

Just to pick your brain a bit. What are the strong points that make you want the Df? I'm looking to get a weather sealed kit sometime so I can get out there in the weather to take shots like that. And the EM-1 is definitely on that list but so is the new Fuji and possibly one of the Sony's. Also do you know how many lenses Fuji has that are weather sealed?

Just to pick your brain a bit. What are the strong points that make you want the Df? I'm looking to get a weather sealed kit sometime so I can get out there in the weather to take shots like that. And the EM-1 is definitely on that list but so is the new Fuji and possibly one of the Sony's. Also do you know how many lenses Fuji has that are weather sealed?
The sensor, the sensor, and the sensor. The RX1 has bitten me with a bad case of the full frame bug. I'd like some sort of full frame ILC, but I'm still thoroughly undecided if I'm willing to shoot one with the smaller lenses I'd be willing to use. But I like the sensors a LOT.

For longer or ultra-wide or zoom lenses, where full frame lenses start to get really huge, I fully expect and intend to stay with m43. Whether there is a set of small prime lenses I like enough to shoot with the Df is a question I'm grappling with and having my doubts about. But modern full frame sensors are a real treat that I'd like to have available with more than one lens if the other compromises aren't too great.

-Ray

I have surprised myself a little by still having no great inclination to purchase an E-M1 in the near future. That's not to say that I don't think that it is an awesome camera, but because it is the camera that came after an already awesome camera (E-M5) that I still use and like as much as I did almost two years ago.

I have surprised myself a little by still having no great inclination to purchase an E-M1 in the near future. That's not to say that I don't think that it is an awesome camera, but because it is the camera that came after an already awesome camera (E-M5) that I still use and like as much as I did almost two years ago.
I didn't either until I shot with one for a while. It's an absolutely unnecessary upgrade if you have an EM5 (unless you really want to use a bunch of older 4/3 glass). But it's so overwhelmingly well thought out and implemented and is so much more than the sum of its parts that it's really hard to go back once you use one for awhile. But if you can avoid using one and are as happy with the EM5 as I was, there's no reason to upgrade.

-Ray

The sensor, the sensor, and the sensor. The RX1 has bitten me with a bad case of the full frame bug. I'd like some sort of full frame ILC, but I'm still thoroughly undecided if I'm willing to shoot one with the smaller lenses I'd be willing to use. But I like the sensors a LOT.

For longer or ultra-wide or zoom lenses, where full frame lenses start to get really huge, I fully expect and intend to stay with m43. Whether there is a set of small prime lenses I like enough to shoot with the Df is a question I'm grappling with and having my doubts about. But modern full frame sensors are a real treat that I'd like to have available with more than one lens if the other compromises aren't too great.

-Ray

Do you think the DF is a better overall camera than the A7r? Or do you just think that the A7 system still needs to mature some? I'm really wanting to get serious on landscape photography and wondering if you really need all the detail from the huge 36MP sensor or not.

I didn't either until I shot with one for a while. It's an absolutely unnecessary upgrade if you have an EM5 (unless you really want to use a bunch of older 4/3 glass). But it's so overwhelmingly well thought out and implemented and is so much more than the sum of its parts that it's really hard to go back once you use one for awhile. But if you can avoid using one and are as happy with the EM5 as I was, there's no reason to upgrade.

-Ray

You're right. I did get to handle one (well, four actually) at a launch event last year and that combined with everything I've read indicates that you'd struggle to find anything that the E-M1 can't do very well. It really becomes a value proposition for me where, anytime a camera gets up towards $1000 or more, the cost/benefit curve starts to separate and I start to look at things very critically.

Do you think the DF is a better overall camera than the A7r? Or do you just think that the A7 system still needs to mature some? I'm really wanting to get serious on landscape photography and wondering if you really need all the detail from the huge 36MP sensor or not.

I don't think I could judge whether the Df is a better overall camera than the A7 or A7r or that the distinction can even be made - better for who, for what? But I think the Df is a better camera for me at the moment. Because it's part of a ridiculously mature system and the A7r is part of a new system with only 2 native prime lenses and one (soon to be two I think) zooms. That's the only reason I'm not taking a closer look at the A7 now. If you're into shooting manual focus glass and are ok with the performance on a lot of existing MF glass with the A7r, it's probably a great option already. I'm not though. So I'm not interested in the A7 at this point and I'm looking at the Df now instead. If I like it enough, I may buy it, but that will require selling my RX1, a camera I really really like a LOT, so the Df is gonna have to pretty totally win me over as something I'll be happy carrying most of the time. I'm pretty well sold on the camera but I'm not yet sure about the line of "D" lenses that keep the entire package small enough to be within my limited tolerance for size.

Even if I end up buying the Df, if the A7 or some other full frame mirrorless system really matures and adds a few good prime lenses at a size I'm ok with, I could switch over in a couple of years if the tradeoffs look right. I'd take a loss on the camera but the lenses are already dirt cheap, so I doubt I'd lose much at all there...

-Ray

Thanks, definitely gives me more to think about. I have some time, I don't think I'll be jumping at a new camera for a little bit yet. It'll be interesting to see if that Df can pry that RX1 out of your hands. It does seem like there is something special about the photos I've seen of the RX1.

If I make it to Africa I'll need something to properly drive this monster.

IMG_6790_zps4230771f.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice! I told myself that I'd definitely pick up a 50-200 if I ever get an EM1. I do not believe there's a comparable lens in ANY system in terms of lens size, image quality, focal length coverage, and speed.

Back