Olympus OM-D E-M5 Officially Announced

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010

Olympus just announced the OM-D EM-5, the first Olympus Micro 4/3 camera to offer an integrated electronic viewfinder (EVF).

Key features of the E-M5:
    • Even faster autofocus than E-P3
    • Autofocus tracking system which is effective even for subjects moving towards/away from the camera (up until now this has been a weak point for mirrorless cameras)
    • 9.2 FPS sequential shooting
    • 5-axis image stabilization system can compensate for 1) pitching, 2) yawing, 3) horizontal movement, 4) vertical movement, and 5) rotational movement around the optical axis.
    • Proven dust-proof and splash-proof technology.
    • Tilting 3-inch OLED touch screen
    • 1.4million dot EVF with eye sensor for automatic switching between EVF and rear OLED.
    DPReview Preview: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Evolving, comprehensive coverage of the E-M5 at 1001 Noisy Cameras.

If you are pre-ordering this camera, please help support Serious Compacts by using our links:

Pre-Order at B&H:
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 Black Body Only at B&H
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 Silver Body Only at B&H

Pre-Order at Amazon:
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 (Silver or Black) Body Only at Amazon[​IMG]
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 Kits (14-42 or 12-50, Black or Silver) at Amazon[​IMG]

Pre-Order at Adorama:
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 Black Body Only at Adorama
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 Silver Body Only at Adorama

Using our links does not change your price, but the store gives us a small percentage (typically 2-4%) for the referral. Please note that in order for us to get credit for referring you, you have to click our link before putting the item in your cart, and you cannot click another site's pre-order link after clicking ours.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    Thanks! That preview pretty much confirms that, apart from some minor points, this is the kind of CSC I've been hoping to see. I love how small it is, and how much control customisation it offers; you can make this a seriously quick camera to operate! Unless a weatherproof EX1 / LX5 / XZ1 comes along, I might just have to buy one of these OM-D's some day when I have the money!

And wow, that silver version is pretty! In my opinion, even prettier than the Fuji X100...
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I agree about the looks of this camera. I'm pre-ordering the silver one.
  4. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    It's cheaper than I thought. $999 for this body is a pretty good deal by today's standards.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. thekeddi

thekeddi SC Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    South Australia
    Well I will order one I think as soon as they get here. A silver one for me, might just wait to see the photos people are getting :)
  6. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    +1 I was thinking it was going to be around $1200.

Man, I am going to try to hold out for the updated Pens, as I don't always carry an EVF. It will be tough in April!
  7. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    This is what I've been waiting for ever since we went digital, except not enough cash on hand. Some day when the prices drop, maybe.
  8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    having seen the progression of new technology (and specificly the PENs), the body alone should be around $800 in 4-6 months, and around $650 in a year or so. I LOVE trickle down economics!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. wolfie

wolfie SC Veteran

Sep 19, 2010
    Just gotta love the comparison pic versus the canon rebel ... for all the people who said it was no smaller than a DSLR:yahoo:

But this says it more sweetly ...

• Like Like x 5
  10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    for me, when the time comes, it will be silver with the 12-50mm lens. Doesn't get any better than that, methinks. Lets see how the pricing develops over time.
  11. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    I'm canceling my NEX7 preorder.

I like RF styled cameras better, but the OMD seems to have combined just about everything I'd hoped for in a m4/3 camera --- dual dials and fully customizable buttons! Weather seal and tilt touchscreen LCD are gravy! Still wish the hump was smaller, but after seeing various videos, I really like it!

I can't wait to see Oly's JPG engine combined with the 16 mp sensor.

Only question now is black or silver? :) Help!!

Ps: I may cancel that XP1 preorder too. Any news on the actual release date of the OMD?

Pps: I take it back ... the buttons are fully customizable. 5 freaking FN buttons, and metering can't be assigned to ANY of the five!!!! Why Oly??? WHY????
  12. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    It sounds like mid March in Asia, April for the US.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    April? Geez ... the XP1 will probably arrive before then. Sigh.
  14. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    I cancelled my X Pro 1 order.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
  16. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    that size comparison did it for me! wow, just wow!
  17. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog

Jul 15, 2010
    I will wait and see how this one turns out, but I am now fully committed to rangefinder style cameras and I am still full speed ahead with the X-PRO1 for digital and vintage Nikon rangefinders for film
  18. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    Looking very good, but I'll wait until Leica's announcement later this year before buying a new camera system. We will see great deals on EP3s soon and many showing up in the used market.
  19. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Upset now that it seems that metering can't be assigned to ANY of the five FN customizable buttons.
  20. Naveed Akhtar

Naveed Akhtar SC Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    London, UK
    Finally .. its happening :)