Micro 4/3 OM-D/ E-M5 in the house

Landshark

PhotoDog
Name
Bob
Well it showed up this afternoon, charged up the battery and started to play. Interesting little camera, very small, but still easy to hold, the foldout screen is cool, focus is very fast, menus are long, buttons are small, not sure about the shutter sound, it almost sounds and feels like a SLR with mirror slap. It is a better right eyed than left. I like that you can change the dial functions. Do not like the on off switch location. Feels heavier than E-P3 but not much lighter than XPro. I will try and shoot some stuff tomorrow with it and see what it is like.

Congrats Bob. Great little camera. Oly's menus are always long and convoluted and involved. The downside is it can be very difficult to initially set the camera up initially - the process of even getting to the "super control panel" (essentially the inspiration for the Q menu in the X-Pro, I gotta believe) takes me a while to figure out again every time I set up a new Oly camera and I've done it several times now. I'm still finding new features now The upside is you can customize it to work almost ANY way you're comfortable once you DO get it set to your liking.

DPR actually did something really useful after they posted their review. The reviewer and one of the more technically minded forum members got together and put together a "How To" of some really useful features and settings. A few of them I'd already found on my own, but others I hadn't and, even a few weeks in with the camera, I found the article incredibly helpful. Here's a link - worth checking out if you're finding the camera even slightly daunting:

User Guide: Getting the most out of the Olympus E-M5: Digital Photography Review

-Ray

Thanks, Ray, that is a good read, still think there may be more options in the menus than one needs, The image stabilization is pretty amazing. You also may have me reconsidering the advantages of a tilt screen

Back