1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D w/ Four-Thirds 14-54mkII: Ricketts Glen State Park

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by sohcsleeper, May 15, 2012.

1. sohcsleeper

sohcsleeper SC Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Ricketts Glen State Park in Pennsylvania, great place for hiking. There is about ~20 waterfalls on a 7.5 mile trail. I wasn't very prepared, but if you come here make sure you've got water, some trailmix bars, and a great pair of hiking shoes because this place with challenge you for sure.

I didn't have a tripod so I just hand held...JK! (not even 5-axis system would help) ,but I just used my Domke F3x bag as camera support.

OOC Jpeg, very light PP (for compositional effect)

14mm f/22 25s iso200 B&W 10x ND filter
    7205200904_bf3358a693_b.

23mm f/9 1/100s iso200
    7205239310_c1d85940c2_b.

14mm f/22 50s iso200 B&W 10x ND filter
    7205200406_ae4221af7d_b.

Dynamic range of the OM-D is incredible, far surpassed and exceeded my expectations. It was a very bright and sunny day combined with the foliage and dark shadows this place would give any camera a serious workout.

The four thirds 14-54mkII works great on this camera.The autofocus is not blazing fast, but its not slow either. I would say on the level of my Ricoh GXR. This lens is super sharp and lives up to its High Grade marking. Its a bit on the heavy side, but combined with the grip should make an awesome weatherproof alternative to the kit lens.

-Tony

• Like Like x 7
  2. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Thanks for sharing the images, Tony. I especially like the first with the light on the log. Good stuff!

3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Very nice, love the b&w image. Did you try any of the slow shutter shots with a larger aperture? It's just that f/22 is a long way into diffraction territory on the Micro 4/3 sensor if you want to get the most out of the lens.

4. sohcsleeper

sohcsleeper SC Regular

Mar 13, 2012

I wish I shot some at f11, but even with the 10x ND I need to crank it to f22 to get 25s. Not sure if any faster would have given me the same results. It was my first time trying black glass. I actually didn't have much time to play with setup as the trail was about 8 miles and it was a lot more treacherous than I had planned. I was really just busy hiking and took some shots not expecting to post, but once I got home and saw some of the files, WOW I was so impressed that I had to share :biggrin:

As you can see on the B&W at f/9, the lens is razor sharp. When I converted the file in Lightroom I had to turn the sharpness down to zero, because it was too much.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    I love the tones in that first shot!