1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD: blizzard camera

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by Landshark, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    Even though I have now downsized my M4/3 arsenal, I love using this camera for what it does in weather that I would never think of taking my Fuji XPros.
    Arrived in NY for a job just before the blizzard started and since I am staying near Time Square for the first time in quite awhile, I thought I would run around and shoot a little street stuff.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Nice series of images!

I never bought my E-M5 because of the weathersealing, and I didn't really want the (weathersealed) 12-50mm lens either, but I have since made use of it and it's certainly another great feature of that camera.

3. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    That's some amazing photos you got there, I like the way you've treated the colours. If there was a snow blizzard I'd be out there taking photos too.

Why wouldn't you take the Xpro? Are they not weather sealed?

4. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    Not really, could probably use one if your careful but the OMD allows me to shoot without worry

• Like Like x 1
  5. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    Me too,. I never thought of the weather sealing as a feature I had to have but now after playing in storms, I am enjoying the freedom it provides in such weather.

6. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    How does weather sealing work, I've heard criticism about cameras that are weather sealed by their lenses are not.

7. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    For example, the new Leica M240 is going to be weather sealed but the M mount lenses aren't. Is there really a point then, unless Leica starts making weather sealed lenses in the future and weather sealed M mounts?

8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Weatherproofing on the Olympus means that it is sufficiently sealed to be used in the rain and withstand splashing, but it is not rated for submersion.With regards to lenses, they need to have a rubber gasket seal around the lens mount and be sealed to the same standard as the body. Currently there are three Micro 4/3 lenses (Olympus 12-50mm, Panasonic 12-35mm, and Panasonic 35-100mm) that are rated to have a higher degree of environmental sealing. I have not yet heard about the effectiveness of the Panasonic lenses, but the Olympus is a proven performer. It's just not the greatest of lenses optically.

9. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    ah ok so the lens and the mount should also be sealed, that's what I thought.

10. Hikari

Hikari SC Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    Maine, USA
    Well, I have a weather sealed camera with which I used non-sealed lenses. I find it very comforting to know that all the buttons and dials on the body will not let in water. The lens has fewer entry points and is easier to cover in plastic. Even a partially sealed system is beneficial.

11. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Nice set. I love the colors in the 4th shot.

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I like 'em Bob. I particularly like the one with the Mickey-Dee's sign where you can really see the snow falling. Stuff like this is most of the reason I got the 12-50 with the OMD. I'd get the 12-35 if I liked shooting with zooms enough, but I don't so it would be a waste of too much money for me. But the $300 I have in the 12-50 seems reasonable.

-Ray

13. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    Thanks, All
    Same with me, it is the reason I got the 12-50 and the reason I kept it, honestly never use it other than in stuff like this. When it stops snowing I am going to play with the the Fuji 14 instead.

14. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Great shots Bob! As you flew in to New York for work my husband was on the last flight out as the storm was reeling up Friday. He took photos of the newscasters in the airport and of the cancellation screens. There were 22 standby's on his flight waiting for someone to cancel so they could leave. One shot he had three newsmen and their cameramen in the same frame. I hope whatever your job is that everyone shows up. I heard some areas are walking-only now. Be sure to get some real snow clogged shots and stay safe!

15. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    For some reason I'm only seeing a bunch of tags?

Either way, the weather sealing is one of the main reasons I keep thinking about getting an E-M5, even though it's probably just a little larger and a good bit more expensive than I'd really like...

16. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Sure... but one of the critical points... between lens and body... no sealing, huge risk. I wont take my K-5 out in the rain or bad weather without a WR lens.

17. Hikari

Hikari SC Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    Maine, USA
    How do you know? The bayonet is not a bad place as it does not move. Moving parts like the focusing ring is is more prone to suck in moisture. I photograph in remote places under less than ideal condition and have never had damage. True, I am not in rain, maybe drizzle.

18. wolfie

wolfie SC Veteran

Sep 19, 2010
    Another sealed lens

.. is the Zuiko 60mm f2.8 macro prime is also rated as weather resistant ... and a very good lens optically. If your interested have a look at a thorough review at MingThien's website.

8006092787_54b218222d_c.

19. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    The weather sealing is the MAIN reason I bought the E-M5. I just love taking photos in the rain and the snow. If I'm going to have more than one camera, one of them needs to deal with the elements. Nice set, Bob!