1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OneID Aims to Unite Devices to Fight Hackers

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by BBW, Nov 3, 2011.

1. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Just came across this article in the Technology section of the NY Times: OneID Aims to Unite Devices to Fight Hackers - NYTimes.com. Here's the lead in
    What do you think?

I knew we had a somewhat related thread...in the sense of passwords and rediscovered it here: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f16/passwords-mac-2179/ I like the idea of OneID. I don't use my laptop in public...though that's not completely true as I have used it in hotels from time to time. If I were needing to use any portable device that had important personal/business information in a wifi hotspot, I don't think I'd like the idea that someone like Lisbeth Salander or her friend Plague (for those who have read the trilogy by Stieg Larson) "hacking" their way into my files...though, honestly, it's probably more likely that someone will hack into my bank's computer system than my own.

Anyhow, I thought I'd bring the article to your attention, in case you'd find it interesting.

2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I have to say, the idea that my security would depend on a "blob" in a "remote data center" owned by a "silicon valley multimillionaire" doesn't fill me with unalloyed enthusiasm :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Well, Paul, I know that choice of words was pretty funny but I'm guessing it's to avoid the "cloud" analogy.:wink:

P.S. I'm not preaching this as the answer but did think it was interesting. I still use pens and paper.:eek:

4. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    stick to pens and paper
    (iin a previous incarnation, i was a designer of electronic messaging systems and e-security consultant)

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Oh my! I will retain my luddite ways, then!

6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    • Like Like x 1