1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

"Orbilicious" fireworks photos

Discussion in 'Fuji Forum' started by JJJPhoto, Jul 13, 2012.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto SC Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    I took my X10 (orb machine) with me on the 4th of July to take photos of fireworks. I knew this would result in images of orbs but I didn't care and I was curious how fireworks would turn out. I'm sure the many X10 haters out there will say the orbs ruin these photos but I actually like these ... orbs and all. Here are a few samples.

DSCF1259-L.

DSCF1277-L.

DSCF1285-L.

DSCF1346-L.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    Those are great shots.

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    orbtastic! I love 'em!

4. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Niiiice :clap2: So the million dollar question, will you swap out this sensor for an orbless version?

5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    that first one is sooooo cool BECAUSE of the Orbs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    They're great! I'd be very interested if we could find someone else who took similar shots (same shutter speed, etc.) and see the difference - if there was any.

7. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto SC Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    In truth, I doubt I'll replace the sensor. Other than these photos of fireworks I can literally count on one hand the number of times that orbs have appeared in my photos (not counting test photos where I was TRYING to create orbs). I mostly use my X10 for candid portraits and some product photography in a light tent and orbs haven't been the problem for me. I am certain that the orbs would be a bigger issue for me if I used the X10 on a regular basis for evening landscapes with street lights in the frame or photos on/near water with the sun reflecting off the water ... but the type of candids and product shots I do with the X10 don't usually produce orbs.

I might send my X10 in for sensor replacement if I didn't have other cameras, but I have four m4/3 cameras and three DSLRs so if I am shooting something that is likely to produce orbs I can bring another camera instead of the X10. I only used the X10 this time because I knew it would likely produce orbs and I wanted to see how it would look.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I wasn't going to bother with mine either...but I did and ended up with a new camera. I think the X10 is a very handy camera and I've gotten what I consider to be some very nice photos...plus the controls are so great.:wink:

9. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    You should get the sensor replaced only if to preserve the resale or gift value of the camera. The Fuji "no questions asked" free sensor/camera replacement offer is unlikely to be open-ended.

Even if I didn't really care about resale, I would be concerned about gifting it without bringing it up to spec. Cost of shipping and insurance = money well spent.

10. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nice. What settings?

11. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto SC Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    If I recall correctly I was shooting at ISO 100, manual exposure, f/11 and a shutter speed of 3 seconds. I shot in RAW and processed in CS5 with ACR.