Fuji "Orbilicious" fireworks photos

JJJPhoto

Regular
I took my X10 (orb machine) with me on the 4th of July to take photos of fireworks. I knew this would result in images of orbs but I didn't care and I was curious how fireworks would turn out. I'm sure the many X10 haters out there will say the orbs ruin these photos but I actually like these ... orbs and all. Here are a few samples.

DSCF1259-L.jpg

DSCF1277-L.jpg

DSCF1285-L.jpg

DSCF1346-L.jpg

They're great! I'd be very interested if we could find someone else who took similar shots (same shutter speed, etc.) and see the difference - if there was any.

In truth, I doubt I'll replace the sensor. Other than these photos of fireworks I can literally count on one hand the number of times that orbs have appeared in my photos (not counting test photos where I was TRYING to create orbs). I mostly use my X10 for candid portraits and some product photography in a light tent and orbs haven't been the problem for me. I am certain that the orbs would be a bigger issue for me if I used the X10 on a regular basis for evening landscapes with street lights in the frame or photos on/near water with the sun reflecting off the water ... but the type of candids and product shots I do with the X10 don't usually produce orbs.

I might send my X10 in for sensor replacement if I didn't have other cameras, but I have four m4/3 cameras and three DSLRs so if I am shooting something that is likely to produce orbs I can bring another camera instead of the X10. I only used the X10 this time because I knew it would likely produce orbs and I wanted to see how it would look.

I wasn't going to bother with mine either...but I did and ended up with a new camera. I think the X10 is a very handy camera and I've gotten what I consider to be some very nice photos...plus the controls are so great.;)

You should get the sensor replaced only if to preserve the resale or gift value of the camera. The Fuji "no questions asked" free sensor/camera replacement offer is unlikely to be open-ended.

Even if I didn't really care about resale, I would be concerned about gifting it without bringing it up to spec. Cost of shipping and insurance = money well spent.

If I recall correctly I was shooting at ISO 100, manual exposure, f/11 and a shutter speed of 3 seconds. I shot in RAW and processed in CS5 with ACR.

Back