Our friends in Norway, we are thinking of you all.

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
P.s. All my thoughts are with those who have family in Oslo. I'm flying in tomorrow.
I hadn't heard until I read your post. Horrific. Surely puts sports in perspective. My thoughts go out as well...

-Ray
I'm sorry I had missed this over in the Tour De France thread. I wrote to Vidar right away as I know he's in Norway. I am sure we all feel the same way and have the Norwegians and others who've been hurt by these senseless acts in our thoughts and prayers. I'm also sure that everyone must be aware of what's happened, but if not here is a link to the NY Times coverage: Oslo Suspect Wrote of Fear of Islam and Plan for War (Published 2011)

I arrived in Oslo the day after the tragedy, having spent 4weeks on the west coast. I'm not sure if it was partly due to the weekend or the fact that there are summer holidays in Norway now, but the overriding feeling was one of disbelief followed a day or so later with one of loss. It was quite surreal. Walking through Oslo there were small placements of flowers in many locations, with the main one outside the cathedral. There was an increased military presence, but only at the closed off area and around government buildings as the King and Queen were in the city and in these buildings. However it was in stark contrast to other countries where the military an police go waaay over the top after this type of event. Even though this had happened I felt no less secure than normal and definitely no extra presence or aggression from any authorities.

I'm fortunate in that although I have Norwegian friends and family, no one I know was injured or killed. To those that do, my thoughts are with you.

Gordon

Thank you, Gordon, for sharing your experiences. Much appreciated. I have heard from our friend Vidar via Flickr mail. He does not live in Oslo, but of course has felt the nation's sadness, yet feels as you do regarding your country's wellbeing.

Back