Panasonic GF2 Review

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by wolfie, Nov 4, 2010.

1. wolfie

wolfie SC Veteran

Sep 19, 2010
    The LUMIX GF2 review up at Photoradar.com!

Just in case U didn't know :cool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    What a bitter bitter disappointment!!!!! Taking away the dial on top and having a touch screen instead NO! NO! NO! We want to fiddle with knobs and dials. And where's the built in EVF?

I will NOT be buying this camera. I'm utterly narked at panasonic for bringing out something that's hardly any improvement on the GF1. Rant over! :biggrin:

3. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    Frankly, I'm most peeved about the loss of the remote cable.

That said, I'll buy one as a backup body, but maybe not right away.

4. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I'm bloomin fuming! :mad: I feel like selling my GF1 in protest!! :eek: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  5. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    I love my GF1, I wouldn't sell it over this. Love the form factor.

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    You should be buying a spare GF1 while you can. The GF2 is a 'newbie' camera and will probably sell well for Panasonic but is does not replace the GF1.

• Like Like x 3
  7. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks for this, wolfie!

Here's the link: *Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Review | PhotoRadar (added in a hyperlink) It does seem that a touch screen as opposed to our dials and wheels is gearing this one towards a somewhat different market. Here's a quote from the review by Angela Nicholson
    P.S. I see dpreview has their preview up and I am sure we'll be seeing more coming soon. For people that are really into video, it does now offer full HD mode.
    They also mention that it will be sold with either the zoom lens or the 14mm 2.5, or with both.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out for Panasonic. :)wink: Sorry, had to do that) With this camera, they are going to continue their micro four thirds interchangeable series, snag the 3D folks and most likely bring in a slew of new folks who've been considering what to do next...those who want to make a move from their more limited cameras, and will get the HD, the 3D, the interchangeable lenses and feel, perhaps, more comfortable with this camera's style of controls. I don't know, but that's my impression. Depending upon how it is to use for those with more advanced experience who will need to use the touch screen...well, it will be interesting to see whether or not this smaller package with some new "touches" can win them over.

8. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    This is a huge blunder IMHO. They are trying to reel in the cNEX consumers. The problem is, the size issue isn't really an issue. Once a lens is slapped on, it doesn't matter. My guess it will be another 6 months or a year before a real upgrade to the GF1.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
  10. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    BBW,

You should see dpreview. There are about 6 or 7 threads about how this is not an upgrade to the GF1. Some say it would not have been a problem if it were labeled like the E-PL1. Others are wanting a real upgrade.

• Like Like x 2
  11. fadi

fadi New to SC

Nov 4, 2010
  12. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Youse just made my day. I finally found a camera that I would never buy.
    I was worried the GF2 would be all that we dreamed it to be.
    Thanks Panny for making our dreams a nightmare.

The GF1 will stay side by side with the LX5.
    Thanks everyone... Ya saved me money...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    What, no more love for Olympus:wink:

14. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    He likes the 17mm lens!

15. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    fadi, I think you need to figure out what you want and need? What kind of camera do you have now and what is your experience in photography?

By the way, welcome to Serious Compacts.:wink:

16. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    My feelings exactly Don (as expressed elsewhere). It should never have been called a GF2, it's a different concept aimed at a different market. If this is the way m4/3 is going then long may my G1 and GF1 continue to operate, when they finally fail, if I've not failed by then, then I admit to making a wrong choice and going off in another direction.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  17. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I was just over on David's blog soundimageplus where I enjoyed reading his take on the GF2 and what might be behind Panasonic's thinking/marketing and - future plans. It's a good article, not without humor which is always a good thing from my point of view.

Here's part of the introduction:
    I think think it's a good read and poses some thoughtful questions.

• Like Like x 1
  18. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Oh yes, well worth a read and an eloquent expression of how I think and what concerns I have for the direction of m43 if the GF2 represents future design policy, smaller would be a sad move and see my loss of interest in the format, not that that would interest any particular manufacturer.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  19. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran

Jul 6, 2010
    Couldn't agree more. My reaction to the GF2 announcement was to immediately buy a GF1. One benefit of the GF2 announcement is that they are very cheap these days!

• Like Like x 2
  20. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran

Jul 6, 2010
    Gf1

And here it is. Complete with Voigtlander 15-35 Zoom Finder (Very good indeed) 20mm lens and ebay case. Since Panasonic won't let me buy a silver GH2 in the UK I bought a silver GF1. Very nice it is too.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/45203414@N06/5147920447/" title="_1090217 by soundimageplus, on Flickr"> 5147920447_29b4eed205. "493" height="500" alt="_1090217" /></a>

• Like Like x 2