Panasonic GM1 - Bird Rescued

D

dalethorn

This tiny bird (less than one ounce weight) flew into a window, and being a hazardous area with dogs etc., I picked it up and kept it calm until it was ready to fly away. I have a cockatiel and parakeet, so I have some experience in bird trauma. This one looked pretty healthy by the time it recovered, which took a good ten minutes after I picked it up.

f4.0, 1/160 handheld, ISO 200 (both images).

Sparrow49_s.jpg

Sparrow48_s.jpg

Actually, I took a number of bursts, and some of the burst sequences were all out of focus, even though the lens was at minimum FL and the bird was more than the minimum 8 inches away. I used 1-area AF and could see the camera focus on the bird, yet the images from some bursts were OOF and there was nothing in the images to indicate that the focus went elsewhere. So, maybe it's unpredictable behavior, or I'm doing something wrong - dunno at this point. I tried some videos indoors two days ago and they were all dark, and I couldn't find any way to fix that. I've never had a digicam do dark videos in decent indoor light - most peculiar.

was it possibly camera shake during the bursts. I imagine it would be difficult managing the bird and the camera at the same time.

No confusion about camera shake - each photo in each burst was equally sharp or equally blurry with the others in the same burst. Occasionally the images in a given burst will differ, which is the main reason I shoot bursts - to get beyond various problems such as camera shake at low shutter speeds (I go as low as 1/4 second handheld in some bursts). But when the images in a given burst are identical in sharpness it's a good indication that everything is working as expected.