Panasonic GX7 Body $728 at Samy's and Samy's Via Amazon

I was hoping the GX7 was the true successor to the gf1 but with a viewfinder. Close but no cigar. Bring back the drive mode toggle FFS. Switching to exposure bracketing by clicking one switch instead of menu diving would be very welcome to me. I kind of gave up exposure bracketing (and HDR) when I sold my gf1......maybe I should re-get one.

the gf1 was the LAST Panasonic camera that had that function (last Panasonic camera I bought and kept, now that I think about it.) I used to really like the Panasonic cameras....LOVED my G1 and gf1. Every new iteration seemed to take something away that I valued.

Panasonic as a camera maker frustrate me, and I say that after having owned and used one for two and a half years and having kept close tabs on them since. They are right up there at the pointy end of technology and they unquestionably know how to make a fast, responsive, and flexible camera, but for me there is always a but. My major pet peeve is that they still seem to design their cameras with a "normalised" live view display rather than one that shows a 100% accurate preview of the final exposure. This drives me to distraction on the GH1; why does the screen/EVF lighten and darken as you adjust exposure compensation if the exposure isn't correct to begin with? It essentially makes the live view displays almost as "dumb" as a traditional OVF with respect to exposure. The GX7 itself seems like it is a fantastic camera and seems to have everything that is great about Panasonics but I had a few niggles with it after handling one. Foremost amongst these was that I question why a camera with a 4:3 aspect sensor has both a rear screen and EVF with a 16:9 aspect.

My biggest respect for Panasonic is as a lens maker; an area where they have excelled. I'm hoping that the upcoming 15mm f1.7 is indeed the missing, high IQ, wide-angle link in the 25/1.4, 45/1.8 chain of primes.

I was hoping the GX7 was the true successor to the gf1 but with a viewfinder. Close but no cigar. Bring back the drive mode toggle FFS. Switching to exposure bracketing by clicking one switch instead of menu diving would be very welcome to me. I kind of gave up exposure bracketing (and HDR) when I sold my gf1......maybe I should re-get one.

Well, you're in luck, Luke. An Amazon.com seller has some new-old stock of the GF1 - no jive - if you're willing to pay the going freight. :eek:

Amazon.com : Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 12.1MP Micro Four-Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-45mm Lens : Compact System Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo

Back