Micro 4/3 Panasonic GX7 image thread

The weather was gray yesterday in Boston. Some fun shooting at the beach in Lynn, MA, with my daughter and the new toy and B&W conversions in silver efex pro. The GX7 is somewhere a blend of the Nikon N1 speed with a larger sensor IQ and higher end camera controls and functionality. Quite a powerful package. Just for fun, not for pixel peeping:

View attachment 8197

View attachment 8198

View attachment 8199

The weather was gray yesterday in Boston. Some fun shooting at the beach in Lynn, MA, with my daughter and the new toy and B&W conversions in silver efex pro. The GX7 is somewhere a blend of the Nikon N1 speed with a larger sensor IQ and higher end camera controls and functionality. Quite a powerful package. Just for fun, not for pixel peeping:

Nicely done! Was this using the electronic shutter at 40 fps?

original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

in what way miguel? i take your comment to mean that in the IQ area its kind of a 'dead heat' between the gx7 and my epl5, and maybe the difference is in user experience...

In terms of IQ/Image Quality - which is a simplified grab-bag for many things - yes, it's close to a dead head between the GX7 and the E-PL5. Which is interesting to me because the recent Olympus cameras whose IQ has been justifiably and heavily praised & hyped have been the E-P5 and the E-M1, but the PL5 (and its smaller sibling the PM2) were largely overlooked in the fray. But the PL5 has a fantastic sensor - and is capable of producing jaw-dropping images.

So far, in my limited but growing experience with the GX7, it's right up there in that rarefied league of relatively small micro 4/3 bodies with amazing image-creating capability/ies. But the GX7 is a much more solid feeling camera - it reminds me both of my older Pentax DSLR's (that I still miss - and that were among the best cameras I've ever owned) - and also earlier Pentax analog/film cameras (which I owned many of) - and, even earlier, some ancient Contax and Leica film rangefinders I once shot with. The GX7 has the feeling of incredibly well-built solidity when you hold it in your hands.

But weirdly enough, though it's much smaller - and a different beast entirely - so does the PL5.

It's a dilemma, having two cameras this good. But I'm not complaining.

in what way miguel? i take your comment to mean that in the IQ area its kind of a 'dead heat' between the gx7 and my epl5, and maybe the difference is in user experience...

your comments about the gx7 are very enlightening miguel, thanks. i have the epl5, which i think has a 'tweaked' em5 sensor. i like the images much better than my old and sold em5, so i'm very happy with the IQ--and was very surprised to feel so. but i absolutely HATE the user experience. the shutter is horrid, louder than any ive used in a long long time, and it sends strong shocks through the system. anti shock is a must. however, the IBIS function often produces blurry images, so i only use it with extreme telephoto. i find those two faults absolutely inexcusable at this point on the technology curve, and neither was an issue on my very old and sold ep2! plus requiring 2 clicks to get to mf magnification is silly. a lot of the features are just not thought through.

i keep it only for the combination of price, size, outstanding IQ, and ability to shoot from the tilting touch screen, which is indispensible to me for street shooting.

None of the Olympus cameras that came after the E-M5 made quite the same headlines, even though you could take the same picture with E-M5, E-PM2, E-PL5, or E-P5 and not be able to pick one from the other. Even the beautiful E-P5 which is actually an upgrade on the E-M5 in a number of areas doesn't get a whole lot of press.

i agree nic, there are really no IQ differences (though i do find the 'tweaked' em5 sensor in ep5 and l5 has more pop and clarity), but i do think the non e-m cams suffer from this gosh awful shutter.

I don't know if the E-P5 presents slightly better out-of-camera to be honest because I haven't compared them directly in this state, but ultimately what matters for me is that both it and the E-M5 process out to essentially the same point.

NY gx7 e-shutter w/ 12mm & IS

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Most of the time gx7 picked 1/60sec w/ 12mm until it hit max iso 3200... Again these were shot sometimes from the lcd (not very controlled) when I was trying to catch my cousins...

definitely see your point on the 'overlap' nic, but for me personally, the gx7s quiet shutter, integrated articulating evf and better focus peaking elevate it in my eyes. from what ive seen, i also personally like the gx7 skin tones better.

on its side i think the olys have better ibis and probably a more keen vf. anywho, thats my story and im sticking to it!

Back