Micro 4/3 Panasonic GX7 review @ Imaging Resource

Most cameras do have a default setting. Just a matter of finding it and more importantly, using it. I don't think most sales people even think about it.

I have been surprised at how easy & effective the focus peaking is on my new GX7 - especially on an old Pentax 'legacy' manual focus lens - but also on another ultra wide-angle/fisheye manual focus behemoth - it (the focus peaking) is very user-friendly and very effective.

Which reminds me, I also like the focus peaking on the GX7 more than the EM1. It has two levels and a choice of colors whereas the EM1 just has an on and off setting.
-Ray

I'm trying to have a look at the specs for the Australian version of the GX7. Different versions are released in Australia particularly for the video function. The GX7 specs I've seen says it does 24p but that does not work for Australian electrical devices which will cause a flicker when filming in fluorescent light. It really should be 25p.

Make sure you get the PAL Area sensor. Some online outlets have it and some don't. Sometimes even the store thinks it is PAL until you actually grill them. (PAL output capability is not the same as a PAL Area sensor)

Thanks Args, I did check to make sure it was the PAL version but I eventually decided to jump on the Sony A7 when I dropped by the store and they happened to have one left in stock. For some silly reason, Panasonic decided to be very selective as to which stores they distributed to, so not all photography stores had the GX7.

Which leaves me with the m43 Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 with no still photography camera to attach to.

I very much prefer the specs and look of the GX7 over the A7 though, by far. But the A7 has a full frame sensor.

I'm still not sure if I made the right choice to be honest.

Hi James, congratulations on the A7!

I too dropped my GX7 plan temporarily in excitement over the A7, before an attack of sanity prevailed as I remembered what my true goals were for my camera system and in what ways my previous system, a Canon 7D kit, was not meeting my needs. Outright image quality was not one of them. And, I can only afford one camera system. So my GX7 is on order!

I expect you made the right choice for yourself, and the A7 is going to bring you a lot of joy. cheers

Back