1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic GX80 (GX85) Is it the GF1 we always wanted?

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by Ghosthunter, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I have had a play with the GX80 and it is wonderful!!

I see it a decent replacement for the GF1 rather than anything to do with the GX8 although it is a smaller version. I loved the GF1's that i owned and this could be another camera to love.

OK it's only 16Mpx but no AA filter...WOW!
    Fixed EVF, Tilt screen, small size, 5 axis IS with zoom lenses, All good stuff.

1st camera I have been really excited about for a very long time except maybe for the Pen-f.

Cant wait for samples.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MoonMind

MoonMind SC Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Now I know who to blame eventually, just in case ... ;)

Seriously, I find this camera very interesting as well - not a PEN-F or a GX8, but in many respects, a camera that might suit my needs just as well for a lot less ... I'm very interested in seeing the I.B.I.S. put through its paces ...

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Looks a lot like a GX7...

4. MoonMind

MoonMind SC Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Well, minus a few things, and crucially (for me) a few millimeters of protrusions - but equally crucially, with (probably) even better I.B.I.S. than the GX8 ...

Concerning handling: I actually held the GX7 after using the LX100 and the E-M10 with ECG-1, and didn't like the grip much - I found it a bit too bulky for my taste. The new grip looks a lot like the one on the LX100; in my book, that's a good thing - I love that grip. I also don't need (or even appreciate) tilting EVFs - of which I have used a couple. That said, the (bigger) EVFs on the GX8 and E-M5 II are a treat ... but I like the one on the LX100 enough to not find its reuse an issue at all.

M.

5. rayvonn

rayvonn SC Veteran

Jan 19, 2015
    For me this is the natural E-P5 replacement if mine ever breaks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    It def looks like a baby GX7 or a replacement for it.

I think this would be a great street camera!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The GX80/85 looks like it would make a lot more sense for me than the GX8. It's being launched at $799 including lens, which makes it very competitive with cameras like the Fuji X-E2s. It also uses the same battery as the Panasonic LX100 and ZS/TZ100. How great is that?

9. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I get that rare inch for some Panasonic bodies. I really liked the GX7 a lot but was disappointed with the IBIS since I have mostly Oly lenses. This one looks really promising and is considerably cheaper than a Pen F. Otherwise, same weight and size as the F. If I ever used video this would be obvious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. davidzvi

davidzvi SC Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    David
    It does look interesting, but I wish you could disable some of the display screens. If only you could go directly between the "With information" and "On-monitor recording information" screens. It would act like the SCP on Olympus bodies. It's my main complaint about Panasonic bodies, I might still have my GX7 if not for that. On my E-M5 mkII I have the information and level screens on and SCP by OK. If I could disable the unwanted screens, use the on screen buttons for level, histogram,.. and leave the QMenu for things I rarely use.

11. MoonMind

MoonMind SC Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The more I look at (and into) this camera, the more sense it makes - even when it comes to the details. That's something that doesn't happen very often - with the PEN-F, it was quite the opposite, actually.

EDIT: Just found something else I hadn't considered previously (I have posted a lengthy piece on mu-43.com about my musings ...); please bear with me here since I'm mainly an Olympus user, but: The menus can be used via the touch screen, something I know to be very handy from my D5500 ... As I said, the more I look into it, the more rounded it seems to become. Now if this I.B.I.S. is worth anything ...

M.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    Looks like a nice camera. Unfortunately, I have more cameras than time at the moment....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    where's the "+1" button?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    The GX7 was my favorite Panasonic camera ever and one of my favorite m43 bodies, so if I was in the m43 market, I'd give this a good hard look. Although if I was in the m43 market, I'd probably STILL have the GX7. I'd prefer this to the GX8 in terms of size (says a nearly full time DSLR shooter...), IBIS, and having a flip screen rather than full articulation. But I'd probably try to find an older GX7 instead because of the customization possibilities. Just thinking out loud - this is all pretty academic to me anymore.

-Ray

15. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia SC Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    This looks really great to me- it combines the all the features of the G7 with the styling of the GX7, and adds 5-axis IBIS to boot! This will be fantastic for video, and the filterless sensor should be great as well.

16. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what people think of the lack of AA Filter. I want to see if there is much of a sharpness difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. davidzvi

davidzvi SC Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    David
    Also looking forward to reviews on the lack of AA filter, but more so on the change in shutter and the reduction in shutter shock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Yeah the whole shutter shock thing would be good if totally sorted. It's looking to be a very tempting camera!!

19. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
  20. twokatmew

twokatmew SC Regular

Aug 19, 2012
    Lansing, Michigan, US
    Margaret
    Just saw this review from Mathieu Gasquet. Excellent!

• Like Like x 2