Panasonic/leica constant aperture zoom

Discussion in 'Panasonic/Leica Forum' started by DaveO, May 21, 2013.

1. DaveO

DaveO SC Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    Crossville, Tn
    Isn't one of their cameras a constant aperture zoom? Maybe I am remembering this wrong, but I thought the camera had a fairly large zoom range, but kept the same aperture throughout the zoom.
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    try a search for an L1 or L10....I think that was the name. That was quite a few years back, though. Back when 6MP cameras ruled the world.
  3. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    But then, an asteroid hit the Earth causing radical climate change and they all died out. Today, the "bits" that make our cameras work are all refined from the ancient remains of those cameras, transformed by the Earth's heat and pressure...

Okay, that was a stretch, lol. You just made me think of dinosaurs with your comment, Luke.
  4. DaveO

DaveO SC Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    Crossville, Tn
    I found it. It's the Panasonic TZ200 and the Leica D or V lux 4. It's a constant f/2.8.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Some of the FZ cameras had an f2.8-3.5 lens. Not sure if there was a constant f2.8 lens.
  6. zapatista

zapatista SC Regular

Jul 28, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    The current FZ200 is a constant f2.8 super zoom...goes from 24 to 600mm (35mm format eq.).
  7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Its definitely the current FZ200 and its Leica counterpart. I must admit I have been tempted, even though I am not that fond of my FZ100 (but am developing a new relationship with it, at 12Mp instead of 14)
  8. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    My dad just bought an FZ200. I had a bit of a play with it over the weekend, seems like a great camera. Pixel-level detail is at the typical level of a 1/2.3" type sensor (not bad by any means but no match for a larger-sensored camera with a good lens), but honestly, who cares... the image stabilization seemed to work really, really well (ofcourse having f/2.8 at full zoom does help!), operation was very quick and smooth, ergonomics were fine, rotating screen is great... just about the perfect all-round camera if you ask me :smile: I'm looking forward to using it some more at the Le Mans 24 Hours next week!