Panasonic Panasonic LF1 announced

Let the record show : my Flickr account was restarted but I have used the site for 5 years. I am one of the ANGRY brigade. Flickr have made a first class disaster with the recent changes. Thank you ladies and gentleman, rant over !

Well I have ordered one at 0 cost to me -YAY! but have not decided wether to sell it straight on or keep it for a while. I sold my LX7 as after getting the Sigma DPm's anything with a smaller than APS-C sensor just did not do it for me. I regularly play with the LF1 at work and am warming to it's small form and ease of use. The VF is about as useful as a chocolate tea pot but the rear screen is very good. f/2 @ 28mm is appealing!! Great for a bit of stealthy street!! I'm going to wait and see if the images from the LF1 are any better than the LX7. I'm rather hoping they would have done a little work on the processor to improve the image files.....we will see.

Andy. THE EVF is poor as in pre historic bridge camera type, but its also very good ! Anything beats struggling with the rear screen. Use it for framing your photo, not for reading fine print. As the LF1 fits in trouser or even shirt pocket I do not see why it should be compared with any APS-C type with monster size lens. Have found that control bleep and shutter sound can be turned off to give a totally silent camera, that may please some users.

Andy. THE EVF is poor as in pre historic bridge camera type, but its also very good ! Anything beats struggling with the rear screen. Use it for framing your photo, not for reading fine print. As the LF1 fits in trouser or even shirt pocket I do not see why it should be compared with any APS-C type with monster size lens. Have found that control bleep and shutter sound can be turned off to give a totally silent camera, that may please some users.

You're right, I tell customers that the EVF's are really just for composition and not as important that they may first think. The size is also something that appeals as it's a lot less chunky than that LX7. I'm not comparing it to an APS-C camera, I just much prefer files from cameras with larger sensors. It's good that you can make it silent. Perhaps I'll give this one a go. I can really see me using it in town for street and taking it places where I would not normally take a camera.

Biro, I uploaded 8 rubbish photos to Flickr (private) just to read the EXIF as you asked about max aperture available at different focal lengths:

29mm f2. 34mm f2.3. 41mm f2.6. 49mm f3.2. 78mm f4.4. 118mm f5.2. 166mm f5.6. 207mm f5.9

Trust that is of interest.

Biro, I uploaded 8 rubbish photos to Flickr (private) just to read the EXIF as you asked about max aperture available at different focal lengths:

29mm f2. 34mm f2.3. 41mm f2.6. 49mm f3.2. 78mm f4.4. 118mm f5.2. 166mm f5.6. 207mm f5.9

Yes, that is of extreme interest to me and I suspect quite a few other potential LF1 owners. Actually, the aperture steps aren't bad. F/2.0 from 28-33mm, f2.3 from 34-40mm, f/2.6 from 41-48mm, f/3.2 from 49-77mm, f/4.4 from 78-117mm. Anything beyond that will be used outdoors so the slower apertures aren't much of an issue. Sure, I would have liked it a bit faster from 50-90mm but I can certainly live with this. I've had an LF1 on pre-order from B&H and I think I'll keep it. Thanks so much, Mick. This is a key bit of information and is very helpful.

Flickr: mick alto4's Photostream

Biro. You are very welcome. Link is for my Flickr photos with a few LF1 snaps on view. On screen viewing at the usual 1024 or 2048 long side are reasonable but original file will not be so good. For a tiny camera with a 1.7 sensor I think it will be alright. My printers failed so I will have to wait until Tuesday to visit a shop for some quick dye sub prints. I have noticed that even in bright light the P mode will select a large aperture and very high shutter speed. Not a problem as I will use Aperture priority. All my photos are JPEG's...........please don't say it !

THis is a very respectable set of figures. Less than f2.8 at 41mm is certainly very good. Does this camera have step focal lengths? Most cameras with a front dial do have this feature.

9217585906_c214090551_z.png

Panasonic LF1

Amateur Photographer magazine have published a test report on the LF1. I agree with most of their comments. The "alternatives" suggested are non starter as they do not have an EVF ! I think they have not really given the LF1 the credit it deserves. The magazine will be in the shops Tuesday.

Back