Panasonic Panasonic TZ100 w/ 1" sensor

There's always this (top of the mall, H'wood and Highland):

image.jpeg

Cameras with multiple segment segment zooming lenses have a serious weakness. Many moving parts that are not built to race car standards, have a built in likelihood of failure, when exposed to less than ideal environment. (ie pocket lent, dust etc.) A scan of ebay, turns up to many "parts only" examples. I have seen several myself.

Cameras with multiple segment segment zooming lenses have a serious weakness. Many moving parts that are not built to race car standards, have a built in likelihood of failure, when exposed to less than ideal environment. (ie pocket lent, dust etc.) A scan of ebay, turns up to many "parts only" examples. I have seen several myself.

I learned years ago with HP pocket computers never to carry an electrostatic device (i.e. digicam) in a pocket, unless the pocket is absolutely always dust and lint free. That's one of the reasons that Leica's small form-fitting carry cases for their compact cameras are so valuable. Hands-free carry, just like a pocket.

I never carry cameras without the bag in my pocket eg the paint can easily chipped, dust, etc... But the P&S lenses has a higher chance of failure due to their mechanics as I already had 2 failed... Also I guess everything electronic is built to be replaced every couple years.

When I compared to my first 10x Olympus digital camera, the size is considerably smaller with a larger 1" sensor. I am wondering how the lens matches to the big sensor. I saw a few photos that were not that great as they were shot there in the show. The guy who was in the panasonic video ad posted those shots in flickr and they were removed shortly after a few dpr posts that were not very positive...

I never carry cameras without the bag in my pocket eg the paint can easily chipped, dust, etc... But the P&S lenses has a higher chance of failure due to their mechanics as I already had 2 failed... Also I guess everything electronic is built to be replaced every couple years.

When I compared to my first 10x Olympus digital camera, the size is considerably smaller with a larger 1" sensor. I am wondering how the lens matches to the big sensor. I saw a few photos that were not that great as they were shot there in the show. The guy who was in the panasonic video ad posted those shots in flickr and they were removed shortly after a few dpr posts that were not very positive...

I've had nearly 100 percent failures with some items such as small Sony products, but of the 50 or so digicams I've had with extendable lenses, the only lens that failed was the Nikon 9500 when it fell off of a chair onto the floor where I was sitting, when the lens was open. I've dropped two Panasonic pocket super-zoom cameras outdoors with the lenses extended, and even with the lens barrels dented significantly, neither failed or even went off of sharp focus. So I'd say that with care, most such cameras should perform for a long time.

Edit: My pocket super-zooms have been 3 Nikons, 3 Canons, and quite a few Panasonics.

Here are some samples:
Hampton Court

I see some problems.
PL is sending the notification of the post by email, good.
The email contains a direct link to Flickr that bypasses PL, seems not so good.
The Flickr image, largest size seems to be 2048 pixels wide, or a small fraction of the actual size from the camera, and that's ridiculous.

Cases for old film point-n-shoot cameras sometimes fit digital cameras. I found a case in a thrift store labeled Bell+Howell that perfectly fits my new Canon G9X. The cost with my senior discount was 25 cents.

I ordered one today from B&H - $700 USD. It's the same size as the ZS50/TZ70 or very close to it, and the price is nearly double. So in spite of the fact that they have a bigger sensor and different lens, it does seem overpriced. But so is the Canon G3x we bought for $1000. Anyway, when it arrives eventually, we will get some real-world comparisons to the G3x.

I ordered one today from B&H - $700 USD. It's the same size as the ZS50/TZ70 or very close to it, and the price is nearly double. So in spite of the fact that they have a bigger sensor and different lens, it does seem overpriced. But so is the Canon G3x we bought for $1000. Anyway, when it arrives eventually, we will get some real-world comparisons to the G3x.

I'll be looking forward to your images - and conclusions.

I see some problems.
PL is sending the notification of the post by email, good.
The email contains a direct link to Flickr that bypasses PL, seems not so good.
The Flickr image, largest size seems to be 2048 pixels wide, or a small fraction of the actual size from the camera, and that's ridiculous.

Not really. The poster clearly had decided to make that the largest available to view. Their choice. I only post at 2048 or 1024 too.

Not really. The poster clearly had decided to make that the largest available to view. Their choice. I only post at 2048 or 1024 too.

I don't have a problem with your 2048 etc. images. I have a problem with 2048 images offered as a demonstration of the image quality of a new camera that's being considered by the readers.

There is not full size samples anywhere from that camera... Until then, we have these... Since it is a prerelease editions, I am sure Panasonic doesn't allow people to post full size... Hopefully the lens will match the sensor esp with the aggressive range...

I don't have a problem with your 2048 etc. images. I have a problem with 2048 images offered as a demonstration of the image quality of a new camera that's being considered by the readers.

There is only one thing holding me from buying a Panasonic fixed-lens camera. I had 3 Panasonic fixed-lens cameras in the past, and in all 3 the sensor chamber was not sealed. I had to send those cameras in on a regular basis to clean dust spots. If you browse DPReview's Panasonic forum, it seems that even the LX100 still has this exact issue.

That said, I have never had any Panasonic product fail on me (as in "suddenly stop working"). In my book, they have a much better track record than Sony. Basically every Sony-made item I have owned in the past, including MP3 and MiniDisc players, laptops, headphones, DVD players, stereo systems etc — all were prone to dying.

Last edited:
Both Panasonic LX100 and Canon g7x that I bought came with misaligned lenses. Canon was very bad at f4. Ricoh GR & Nikon A have full of dust reports on dpr even the refurbished ones. My Ricoh's lens failed in first 6 months and luckily they replaced the whole lens assembly under warranty. Sony RX100 had a similar issue after 2 years. My second RX100 which was bought as used is with me in its 2nd year. Olympus 10x UZ lasted much longer, maybe less used, but was not af'ing when I tried last time several years ago... My dslrs/mirrorless cameras last the longest, but not the P&S based on their lens designs... But older slr lenses usually comes with good amount of dust or picks dust also....

There is only one thing holding me from buying a Panasonic fixed-lens camera. I had 3 Panasonic fixed-lens cameras in the past, and in all 3 the sensor chamber was not sealed. I had to send those cameras in on a regular basis to clean dust spots. If you browse the DPReview Panasonic forum, it seems that even the LX100 still has this exact issue.

That said, I have never had any Panasonic product fail on me (as in "suddenly stop working"). In my book, they have a much better track record than Sony. Basically every Sony-made item I have owned in the past, including MP3 and MiniDisc players, laptops, headphones, DVD players, stereo systems etc — all were prone to dying.

Back