Sony Panorama mode disables the zoom - is that normal? (rx100 M5)

MrJoshua

Name
Jim
Hopefully this is an easy question but it appears that when using the panorama mode on the camera, it disables the zoom operation so each frame can only be done at 24mm end of the zoom.

My question is this:
Have I caused it to be locked out somehow and is it normally operable, or, is it just always disabled in this mode, with no way to get around that?

The reason I'm not sure is I could have sworn that when I was first messing with the camera after receiving it, I was fairly sure I did zoom first then take a panorama sequence, but now I'm thinking I must have imagined that....

Thanks in advance if someone can clarify!

Hopefully this is an easy question but it appears that when using the panorama mode on the camera, it disables the zoom operation so each frame can only be done at 24mm end of the zoom.

My question is this:
Have I caused it to be locked out somehow and is it normally operable, or, is it just always disabled in this mode, with no way to get around that?

The reason I'm not sure is I could have sworn that when I was first messing with the camera after receiving it, I was fairly sure I did zoom first then take a panorama sequence, but now I'm thinking I must have imagined that....

Thanks in advance if someone can clarify!
I can't vouch for the Mk5 but the Mk1 always goes to the widest focal length (28mm) whenever you go into panorama mode. I would bet that this applies to every version.
NB the zoom is fully available in panoramas on the A6000, I have just discovered. Neat!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess that's it then, and I must have imagined using the zoom.

A shame though, I presume there's a technical reason that must make a zoomed focal length difficult for the camera to deal with in this mode, but I can't think of what that would be.

Just to clarify, I don't mean using the zoom function while actually in the process of taking the panorama sequence, as that would be a bit absurd, but I don't see why you can't zoom to a particular focal length that you want, then take the shot sequence.

I guess there's some tech limitation meaning that would present a difficult task for the camera to deal with, but I'd love to know what that is, as I can't see why it would make any difference really, as long as the zoom is disabled after the shutter is pressed.

Possibly yeah, after all, companies often do tend to decide "what's best" for the consumer on our behalf, but it just seems a little odd in this instance unless there's a reason it'd make things difficult for the camera.

For instance if you're zoomed in more than the widest angle then the variation of the held camera angle up & down will be effectively magnified, so it would probably make it harder to then stitch the images accurately together.

Fully zoomed in and without using a tripod, perhaps it is near impossible for the camera to stitch together the individual images. So rather than receiving a constant stream of complaints from customers that the panorama mode doesn't work, manufacturers only allow the widest focal length to be used.

-R

Back