Paris and Rome: what to bring, what to do, how to do it?

I am usually a zoom shooter on my travels as you don't miss a shoot and also don't change lenses often. That is why I like the 24-XX mm zooms as it gets you that extra wide esp in Europe. Here is what NG traveler shoots and publishes book/NG with (old blog post but will give you an idea):

What's In the Bag, Lately - Bob Krist

Last vacation I tried RX1 instead of Olympus 12-35mm, but I had Panasonic 7-14 (a few times) and Panasonic 35-100/Oly 45mm, Oly 75-300 (a few times) to compliment it. Before 35-100, I was also carrying Oly 14-150mm like Ray. I was interested in Sony 16-70mm f/4 zoom for nex for the extra reach compared to m43 zooms but it looks like it might not be the sharp lens for the given price, though distortions are optically corrected:

Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

Paris is now a nightmare for pickpockets ; even staff at the Louvre went on strike to demand an increased police presence.
Rome used to be bad but currently I reckon that Paris is worse than Barcelona.
It's worth doing some Internet homework on pick pocketing techniques..... For example on the metro stay away from the doors and avoid survey takers in the Parks.
The two thieves that had a go at us were very different ..one an attractive teenage girl and the other a thirty something Black Man.

I think going on the trip w/o interchangeable lenses will be liberating, kind of like the Seattle/Vancouver trip that we had carrying only the X100 and X10. But I fear that time when I am caught wishing for more zoom. Or wider.

I think you answered your own question :)

I've done a few trips with the X100S or RX1 by itself and when my primary purpose isn't photography, it's nice to just have one option, grab it and go. Take the GR (and why not the WA adapter, if you have it) and have fun!

Just bring the GR and enjoy your trip. Having too much gear can really keep you from enjoying the precious little time you have. For me, photography is an escape from the monotony and soul-crushing boredom of daily life. That's not a problem on vacation. On vacation, I make snapshots to remember what a nice time I had.

Just bring the GR and enjoy your trip. Having too much gear can really keep you from enjoying the precious little time you have. For me, photography is an escape from the monotony and soul-crushing boredom of daily life. That's not a problem on vacation. On vacation, I make snapshots to remember what a nice time I had.

I agree just take the GR only with some spares and two and happy shooting :)

I'm completely naive when it comes to carrying my gear: I bought it to use it. I'm fully aware that no matter how I carry my gear, I'll stand out as the tourist I am, and thus a prime target for pickpockets. If my gear ever gets stolen, I'll shop again. I can imagine that being a problem if you bring along gear that has had you on a waiting list, but I tend not to bring irreplaceable stuff on holidays. As for what to bring: in the analogue days, I could only have a Minox GT/E, or a Minolta X700 with only a 50, and be happy. Nowadays I tend to bring too much, and use everything. It's progress they say. I think I could get by with a EM5, 17 and 45. Or an EM5 and a 25. Or a GR. As long as I had fun.

You really want to go light and cover it all?

Here it is: an FZ200(24-600mm equivalent, 1.4 pounds), three batteries and two 16 GB cards. Sling it over your shoulder in a compact binocular bag, and you got it. You'll never miss a shot changing lenses.

Cheers, Jock

Lightest option: hang this 10X (27.5-275mm) to your neck and give us a live update from your trip :)

Sony_QX10_contacto_4.jpg

Google Translate

sonyqx2.jpg

Sony Cyber-shot QX10 review: a WiFi 'lens camera' that mounts directly on your smartphone | Engadget

Making my first trip with the wife to Rome and Paris during the holidays. I'm stressing over: gear; what to do; what to photograph; where to stay; how best to avoid pickpockets; etc ...

As far as gear is concerned (my favorite subject), I'm struggling with whether to go as light as possible, or with something bulkier (relatively speaking). Light would mean Ricoh GR plus something like a Sony RX100ii or a Fuji X20. Bulkier would mean, Ricoh GR plus EM5 (or maybe the GX7 if I get one) and a myriad of lenses (Oly 14-150, Oly 17/1.8 or PanLeica 25/1.4, Oly 45/1.8 or Oly 75/1.8, and probably an ultra wide for the Trevi Fountain-like photos). I'm also pondering if the super wide angle needs would be met by just adding a 21mm wide angle adapter to the GR. Or is the Oly 12/2 wide enough?

I'm open for ideas and suggestions on gear and all the other topics. Thanks!!

Luckily my g/f is into taking photos. I just got the GR and wont ever go anywhere without it. But no way would I not also bring the EM5/GX7 (preordered the GX7 and sold my EM5) on a trip like that. Although Im not a huge of the 10x zooms I would still probably bring that and then the ultrawide and the 45 or 75. Im not sure you will use either the 45 or 75 much so you could leave them home but the 75mm is unmatched if you have a need for it.

Personally I wouldnt bother with the 17mm or the 25mm since the images out of the GR are better and 28mm isnt really that much different than either (heresy to some I know). I just dont think you are going to find yourself wishing you brought either of those when you have the GR already.

I think that would make me leave the 12mm off the list too. Have you thought about a 8mm fisheye instead? I have one for my XE1 and LOVE it. It is a fun lens and I think would give you a nice ultrawide since you can defish too.

Good luck deciding. Have fun!

The trip is a vacation. Other than Madrid and outskirts, I've never been to Europe. So this will be a first for me. My wife has been a few times in the past.

I just don't want to miss anything (photo or otherwise) given that I'm not sure when we would return to Paris and Rome again after this trip.

The trip is a vacation. Other than Madrid and outskirts, I've never been to Europe. So this will be a first for me. My wife has been a few times in the past.

I just don't want to miss anything (photo or otherwise) given that I'm not sure when we would return to Paris and Rome again after this trip.

Know how you feel there, it was the same for me. You can always take a little more and keep it at your hotel/apartment if that makes you feel more secure doing that. And in some places you might find yourself sneaking a shot with your cellphone as well, it happens and even if the images aren't perfect the memories do enhance them.

Hoping I'll get some time tomorrow to show you some Paris shots, so you can see where I went wrong and adjust accordingly! Briar has some crackingones too, I think in a separate set on Flickr

Paris is now a nightmare for pickpockets ; even staff at the Louvre went on strike to demand an increased police presence.
Rome used to be bad but currently I reckon that Paris is worse than Barcelona.

Is Barcelona that bad? I've been there 4 times, never had a problem and did not even know it had a thievery problem.

I've been to Paris once, Madrid once, and London, Rome, Venice, Florence, and Barcelona a couple times each and I've never had any trouble. I try to look like I don't have anything worth stealing (well worn Domke "ruggedwear" bags help) even if I'm obviously a tourist - I can still look like I'm not a particularly well off one. But my sister and mother-in-law and a couple of friends have all been ripped off in various European cities, so I know it's a very real concern. I'd wear pants with zippered internal pockets and I always carry any cameras or camera bags in a sling manner over my left shoulder with the bag riding on my right hip, so they'd have to literally just about rip my head off to get the bag off, or they'd have to cut the strap. I realize this could happen, but I figure if I don't make it easy for them, I'm less likely to be the low-hanging fruit that they decide to go after. I don't dress particularly nicely, so this comes pretty easily to me... :cool: Stuff can happen, but take whatever preventative steps you can and be as aware as you can at all times in any sort of crowd.

And, oh year, have fun!

-Ray

I think we have been unnecessarily traumatized by stories of pickpocketing in Europe. I've been in several large European cities and have had absolutely no problems. That said, it does happen, and you need to keep your wits about you, and beware of obvious scams (people throwing change down in front of you, etc.). Beware of obvious attempts to distract your attention, and keep an awareness of your pockets, especially in crowds and on public transportation. Watch what's going on ahead of you, not just what's in your immediate vicinity. These precautions are necessary in ANY large city, not just in Europe. I've wandered all over Rome, Florence, Paris, London, and smaller touristed cities, and have not had a problem. Enjoy your trip, insure your camera gear, and don't carry all your exposed film (memory cards) with you everywhere you go. If the worst happens, you can survive a day's shooting lost, but not your entire trip. I use small memory cards so that I don't have a major loss if one is stolen or lost. Above all, enjoy Europe. Don't obsess over what "could" happen.

BTW, my last trip I carried a D700 with 24-120, 35mm f/2, and a V1 with the kit lens. Used it all.

Rich

As said before, for Paris, a zoom is useful as there is a lot of space to cover in many of the places you will visit or walk by on the way to things to see. and then of course are the narrow streets and massive monuments where you don`t want to miss a wide angle. Rome is different, a wide angle will mostly do. A few Paris example with a point & shoot, one fully zoomed in, two at the 28mm e wide and (a wider lens would have been useful) and one at the 50mm e focal length. IQ wise, the p&sh looked good enough to me and delivered. Any blame concerning quality of the images goes to the shooter.

View attachment 7773

View attachment 7774

View attachment 7775

View attachment 7776

I can't speak about Paris - in Rome I like to use the 20&45 duo, and will use the tiny oly15mm next time. In daylight even the 14-42IIR shines.
Besides gear, if this is your first time there I recommend you enjoy the place first: use mostly gear that does not get in the way.
Walk as much as you can, try to find an inner city B&B and spend the nights walking is my suggestion (but I'm lucky, I have friends there).
If you have any specific questions just ask.

6986972688_645379dc9b_b.jpg

Rome di alfrjw, su Flickr

Back