1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Peaking at Chickens

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by Country Parson, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    I cannot overemphasize how useful is the Peaking function on the NEX cameras. Today I put long lenses on the NEX 5N, a 180mm f2.8 Nikon, and a 100mm f2 Zeiss. There is no way I could use these lenses following moving subjects and get consistently accurate focus just by looking at the screen. My eyes are not that good, especially with tri-focal glasses. But the peaking function gave me nearly flawless focus on the chickens running free range around my yard. Here are two examples, one with each lens at ISO 100 and wide open, or maybe one stop down, apertures.

Rooster1.jpg

Rooster2.jpg

If the weather permits I will try the same exercise tomorrow with the GXRs version of peaking.

• Like Like x 7
  2. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Love it - great stuff! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Very nice. Hit that sweet spot on these images. Can I ask your overall keeper rate?

• Like Like x 1
  4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Thanks for your posts on this, Dan. I wondered what peaking was, and now I see. What a wonderful idea/implementation. Makes the NEX7 even more appealing, when it comes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Nicely done Dan.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    well done, Dan!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Country Parson

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    If we define keeper rate as in focus, it was about 98% for this exercise.

8. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Wow. It clearly works very, very well. Thanks for sharing.

9. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Looking forward to the GXR version of the peaking chicken (as opposed to Peking Duck). Hehe.

10. Country Parson

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    Peaking at chickens and dog

My experiment with the GXR and its version of peaking will have to wait for an adapter. Meanwhile, I went out this morning with the NEX5N and a Pentax FA 77mm f1.8 lens set at 2.8. I tried following our very energetic dog (pictured here) and found it difficult with the peaking feature. My in focus success rate with her was more like 40%. I think my success would not have been much better with my DSLR.

DSC00325.jpg

DSC00312_copy.jpg

Back to chickens. This photo illustrates the advantage of manual focus with peaking. Auto focus often has difficulty with a picture like this because it does not know on what to focus. There are work-arounds of course. With manual peaking it is easy to choose the point of focus in this cluttered scene.

DSC00377.jpg

• Like Like x 1