1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pentax K-30 Official

Discussion in 'Pentax DSLR Forum' started by kyteflyer, May 22, 2012.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    • Like Like x 2
  3. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    OOOOH! I had not noticed it offers focus peaking too! SOLD!

• Like Like x 1
  4. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Nooooo, I'm all buyed out!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Focus peeking on a Pentax....GENIUS!! With all the old lenses focus peeking is a brilliant idea. Blimey...could i be tempted???

• Like Like x 1
  6. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I like the angular look - attractive camera.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Focus peaking? Please explain what this exactly is/does, thanks.

8. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Nope. I had a look at the DPR preview. It has some nice features. I just sold my K20, and have decided to stay with Olympus. Pentax makes great cameras, but I have been with Olympus (mostly), for 25 years or so, except for brief transgressions into other pastures. There is just something about them that I cannot describe, that I like. They are not perfect, and I wish for some things to change. But can't have everything.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mmacleodbrown

mmacleodbrown SC Regular

Oct 10, 2010
    London
    Not for me - not enough of an upgrade from my K20D.
    The focus peaking is only in Live view.
    I like it, I like it alot, and Im so close to getting a K5 as they have dropped in price to silly money now (relatively!)
    But I still feel the K5 is a better camera over the K30, but Im going to hold off for now as I believe that there isn't long to wait until an upgraded K5 comes out as the K30 is going to hurt K5 sales at the price it is going for.
    And I think the blue model looks gorgeous (can I say that about a camera without being weird?)
    I have that buying urge and the worst bit is that I actually have the cash this time!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Watch this video. It's on a NEX 5 but it's the same on the Pentax. Basically it shows anything that is is focus in Red or what ever other colour you choose. It's for manual focus lenses.

Sony Nex 5 Focus Peaking Indicator - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  11. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Thanks Andy. In focus is red, why not green, green=okay, go ahead, red is a warning, stop to me. Like a traffic sign.

12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I think it's because green is more common in nature and it would be harder to see. Red stands out more.

13. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    K30 looks pretty good. Very close to the K5 in all specs, except direct controls and top LCD. I'd think that Pentax will likely come out with a K5 successor in the near future as well, because the K30 will likely cannibalize some K5 sales.

14. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    If this had been released sooner, I would not have hesitated for a second, to have it as a replacement for my K200D. I've stepped back a bit from wanting to sell my K-5, but only a bit. My purchasing will be defined by cash flow which is pretty much non existent at the moment unless I sell some things.

15. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I owned a K-r for one day. I couldn't deal with how loud it was or the lag between the time I took the photo and the time it was displayed on the rear screen. If those 2 problems have been addressed, I'll buy the blue one. Then I'll see if it feels better in hand than the OMD.

16. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    I may have to trade in my K-01 for one of these... minimal size/weight increase and I would get the viewfinder. I hope this would make MF a lot more useable in daylight with focus peaking.

I never played with the K-r, but got the sense it was designed to meet a price point? I can tell you that the K-01 is pretty snappy in operation and I think the processor is the same in the K30.

17. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I think the K-r was designed to address many of the issues in the K-x which was lacking some basic features that every camera ought to have. The one that made me sell my K-x on was the complete lack of focus points in the viewfinder... the only way you knew your shot was focussed was if a green light lit up in the base of the VF. But you had no idea which particular parts were lit. God help you if you wanted to play with DoF. It was very much hit and miss.

18. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    Did any one buy the k-30? I'm looking for a weatherproof camera and this one of the contenders.

19. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I owned one for a couple days. I had never owned a DSLR. While this is one of the smallest, I felt it was too heavy and decided that smaller cameras are more my bag. The IQ was great....focus snappy. I think it's easily the best value in DSLR cameras right now. I wanted weatherproof, too. I went with the Olympus E-M5 instead. I'm pretty pleased with it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    Thanks Luke,

I think the em-5 is out of my budget just now. Is the em-5 frosty proof too?

What lens did you use with the k30?