Pentax K-S1

Discussion in 'Pentax DSLR Forum' started by Biro, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Ricoh unveiled its latest Pentax DSLR this week, the K-S1...

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8543010162/ricoh-unveils-pentax-k-s1

The first thing I notice is that this camera has no touch screen and no native wifi, but does feature a big K-mount lens with noisy autofocus. The problem with the K-S1, to my eyes, is that it's not going to appeal to Ricoh's stated target market: mobile-interface shooters. Our very own John Flores points out in a thread over on mu-43.com that there have been only two devices that have resonated with this market in the past decade: the iPhone and the GoPro camera. Pentax and the rest of the traditional camera industry still don't have a clue about how to reach these people and I have to fearfully wonder what Pentax's next crack at mirrorless will look like. I just have to shake my head.

2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    from dpreview...... "The optional Flucard for PENTAX offers additional features such as Wi-Fi transfer, wireless live view, and Remote Capture control; letting users take control of their camera settings with a smartphone, tablet, or computer and save images directly to a mobile device"

at $800 with the kit lens, I don't see the value in this camera. If the Flucard (couldn't there be a better name for it?!) were standard instead of optional, I think people could see the benefits a little easier. I don't have the answers, but apparently Ricoh doesn't either. Maybe they need to pair up with a cell phone maker and get a phone into a GR body.

3. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I won't be going anywhere near it. I laughed at their efforts with the Q, but the Q7 appeals to me and I think thats about as good as it gets with pentax mirrorless.