1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pentax M SMC 50mm f1.8 on E-PL5

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by Dewi Sant, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    This arrived today, I bought it just over a week ago from a guy in one of the flooded areas of the UK so I wasn't expecting it just yet! For the £15 it went for, it's more than just ok - bit of a bargain really as it's in great condition. The optics are like new. My first legacy lens.

pentax_zps673e3237.

• Like Like x 3
  2. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've owned 7 different Pentax 50s. Not a real surprise since I shot Pentax for many years. I currently have the K 50 1.4 and the M 50 macro f4. They have always been among my very favorite lenses.

3. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I have the k55 f1.8..... Lovely lens

4. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    Ah! the radioactive one, Sue :wink: Almost bought one that I had earmarked but I put a bid on the 50mm just for devilment not thinking it would go for such a low price. I'll see how it fares and if I don't like it for any reason I can always pop it back on e.bay and look for another 55mm.

I'm just in the process of trying to cajole the girldog into being my "mogle" so I can try the 50mm out but she's in sleepy mode at the moment - nothing is more immovable than a sleepy Josie :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    They're a bit like Pringles, really.

6. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    What!! Dry and crispy??

I Know, LP - i'm already looking for a 135mm and a 35mm to take on my travels. Considering I bought the Pen to save hunking around my DSLR gear, at this rate I'll have a heavier bag of M43 stuff than my Canon ever was! I'm going to have to be very selective in what I take, the car boot is tiny. Once my wife Liz has packed all of her stuff my allocation of space is usually very small :smile:

7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Before I switched my system gear over from Canon to Micro 4/3 I had quite a few older MF lenses to use on an E-P1 and then an E-PL1, mostly OMs and FDs. I still have some of them but don't use them so much since I bought some of the native AF primes of similar focal lengths. It's a good bit of fun to get one of them out from time to time and see if I can still go "all manual".

8. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    I had half an hour to kill earlier while waiting for some undercoat to dry so went down and shot these with the Pentax lens, I'm quite impressed with it for an oldie. I did shoot RAW / JPEGS but these are the jpgs

Straight out of camera, just a size reduction

100% crop

Bit of magic applied

• Like Like x 3
  9. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    A few randoms, she looks a bit tatty because I had to give her a good wash after our walk today and she was still a tad moist.

jo2_zps1d801fe9.

jo4_zps4c6b2283.

jo3_zps94ef48ce.

• Like Like x 2
  10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    She's beautiful:) great shots!

• Like Like x 1
  11. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It always got glowing reviews.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Archiver

Archiver SC Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have the Pentax-M SMC 50mm f1.4, and SMC 28mm f2.8. They are gorgeous on a film camera, and I'm thinking of getting a Pentax - m43 adapter. Do you think it's worth it for the fun?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    I'd say so but maybe I'm biased as I really like retro stuff. Manual focusing makes you somehow "more involved" in the image taking process. Besides, the adaptors are cheap as chips so even if you don't get on with older lenses there's very little to be lost. The 1.4 50mm SMC is supposed to be a cracker on M43 cameras