Pentax MX-1 for $249.99 - WOOT!

Something else worth considering is a given camera's image-processing engine. Not all caneras within a given class or with a common sensor size are the same. Pentax, which seems to get more from Sony's fabulous 16mp APS-C sensor than Sony can, has an excellent reputation in this regard. I'd be very interested in seeing how low-light images look from the MX-1. ISO 800, 1600 and 3200. All at 28, 50 and 100mm. Good luck, Tilman! This should be good. ;)

if you want to have one of the best compacts on a budget, you could do much worse than this :)
The only small downside is that when shooting raw+jpg, the camera sometimes gives you the "I'm busy" message if you try to take another picture just after taking one. That forced break can take about a second or two at the most. Not a dealbreaker for me, but if you're not a patient person ;-) or you want to take a lot of pictures of kids, it might not be the ideal camera...

If you like to take macros on the other hand, it's great.

P.S.: I always wanted to have a compact camera with a dedicated exposure compensation dial. Ironically on the MX-1 I barely used it so far, because that little camera meters so well :)

10737097843_5f0b9218a3_c.jpg

Untitled by tilman paulin, on Flickr

For that price, I'd be interested. But I just picked up an XF-1. The pentax has a lenscap, so no deal. Looks on paper like a repackaged XZ-2( possibly same sensor and lens). I'm still trying to find my way around the XF-1.

Back