1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pentax NC-1 Kit to be Announced in June with $600 Price Tag?

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Amin Sabet, May 27, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    pentax-nc-1-mirrorless-camera.

According to Photo Rumors, Pentax is on the cusp of introducing the world's smallest interchangeable lens digital camera next month. Called the NC-1, this camera is said to use a 1/2.3" sensor, which is similar to many pocket compacts and smaller than the sensors found in such cameras as the Canon S95 and Olympus XZ1.

The NC-1 will supposedly be released in June with a kit lens for $600. Rumored lenses include an 8.5mm (50mm equivalent) f/1.9 prime and a 5-15mm (28-80mm equivalent) f/2.8-4.5 zoom.

Despite matching leaked images on more than one site, I'm still a bit skeptical that this product will see the light of day. Do people really want interchangeable lenses on a camera this small?

• Like Like x 3
  2. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran

Jul 6, 2010
    Like you, I'm skeptical too. I've always been a bit bewildered by this rumour, though its been aound for a while and seems quite strong. The small sensor makes the whole thing a bit pointless as does the small lens choice.

The other rumour that Pentax are making a mirrorless APS-C CSC for their K-mount lenses makes much more sense and is actually quite exciting. Those limited pancakes on a small mirrorless compact camera, is very tempting. Its tailor-made for Pentax, they already have the lenses and the mount.

However this one seems strange. It goes with the rumour of a similar Nikon small sensor CSC. "Pro" Coolpix is what I've seen it called. ?????

3. mmacleodbrown

mmacleodbrown SC Regular

Oct 10, 2010
    London
    Soundimage- Exactly the same way I am thinking.
    A Pentax APS-C CSC for their K-mount would have me saving like crazy as soon as it was announced, as I have two Pentax lenses for my K20D that I could use and could swap down for a smaller body.

The sensor size just makes this a no go for me

• Like Like x 1
  4. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran

Jul 6, 2010
    Something like this perhaps.

pentax r1a.

5. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Yum.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    The rumor of a second Pentax system is variably reported as an APS-C system camera that will take K-mount lenses or as camera based on their 110 system and taking those lenses. Also, different rumor sites are saying that the second system will/won't have a mirror.

It could be that the "other" system won't be here for a long time. The Pentax 645D was one of the longest rumored cameras ever to come to market.

7. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    No more threads that stir up GAS problems please.

Well, at least these cameras don't exist ... yet.

8. flash

flash SC Veteran

May 6, 2011
    Gordon
    I know it'll be noisy. I know I'll have refraction issues. I know I'll have no control over DOF. It looks ugly.

But I'm still tempted........... Wonder how it would go at weddings? ;-)

Gordon

9. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    OH YEAH!

I'd probably sell my K-5 for that :)

10. ZDP-189

ZDP-189 Twitter: <a href="http://twitter.com/#!/ZDP189">@Z

Apr 18, 2011
    I've been waiting for a Kenco, but maybe the Pentax fits the bill. Whether I buy in the first round depends on whether they offer a C-mount adapter. 1/2.3" is all about C.