1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pentax Q $399 at Amazon

Discussion in 'Pentax Q Forum' started by zombywoof, Jul 7, 2012.

1. zombywoof

zombywoof New to SC

Jul 7, 2012
    FYI for anyone holding out for a sub-$400 price point, Amazon has the Pentax Q with 8.5mm kit lens for $399.41 as of right now:

link

• Like Like x 1
  2. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    It's a fun camera!

3. Tonto

Tonto SC Rookie

Please stay in stock at that price till payday! I'm getting it! :cool:

4. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    That camera is just dinky cute!

5. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Looks like the price is up by $50 already. The Q looks looks a lot better when you hold it than in pictures. And it handles better than many might suspect as well. If you don't need the zoom lens right away, the first accessry I'd add would be the optical viewfinder that sldes into the hotshoe.

6. Tonto

Tonto SC Rookie

Too bad the viewfinder almost costs as much as the camera now!

7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    Crutchfield had it earlier for $399 as well but with the leather case. That case sells for $100. They are OOS now too.

8. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    No worries... The Pentax rep told me at an event in New York this week that the company will realign its camera and lens prices this fall so they make more sense. And it includes an MSRP of $399 for the Q.

9. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    I like my Q but I'd like it even better if I had not been an early adopter and paid the higher price!

BTW I compared the Q to the hot new thing RX100 and preferred the Q. Obviously they are different intents, but both are small and the Q is (now) cheaper. The Q has a certain rendering that I like and like the B&W images I can pull from the RAW files. The one thing I'd like to improve is the response time - time to start up and time between (RAW) shots.

• Like Like x 1
  10. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I really like my Q, but $399 MSRP is a far more sensible price if Pentax/Ricoh wants this Q mount to catch on.

11. stanleyk

stanleyk SC Top Veteran

May 23, 2011
    Taylor, Texas
    Has anyone used it with the Toy Lenses?

12. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    How useful is it for street work. I imagine hyper focal shooting is easy with the tiny sensor.

Eliot@iPad

13. pixelsmithy

pixelsmithy SC Rookie

Aug 15, 2012
    Crutchfields currently has the Black or White 01 kit for $399 and is including the $99 Vintage Leather case for it, free. Dang!
    pentax q at Crutchfield.com

I just paid $395 for a (3036 shutter count) used kit, but I did get an extra battery, a metal JPP hood for the 8.5mm and two Kipon adapters K-to-C and C-to-Q. Like the looks of the case, but I think a case would kind of get in the way. Part of the appeal of this camera to me is that it is on your person at all times and ready to use at a moment's notice. Don't want to fool with getting it free of the case.

• Like Like x 1
  14. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug

That's pretty cool! That case looks nice... I wish the white version would have been on the previous Amazon daily deal... my wife would have preferred white to the black, I think.

15. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I just pulled the trigger on that $399 Crutchfield deal with free two-day shipping and free leather case. If things go well I may add the zoom and optical viewfinder later. But at this price there's very little risk. I've been looking forward to this little camera since handling one at a Pentax event a week or so ago.

16. Olivier Duong

Olivier Duong SC Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Man I was looking at one on ebay, dunno if it's worth it or not

17. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If the price is $399 or less, the risk is very low... especially if it's new with warranty.

18. Olivier Duong

Olivier Duong SC Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Its more GAS than anything :)

• Like Like x 1