Pentax Pentax Q in August?

Amin

Hall of Famer
According to various rumor sites, Pentax will be introducing at least two new mirrorless interchangeable lens systems this summer. One camera which we previously covered is the Pentax NC-1, which supposedly will use a 1/2.3" (very small) sensor.

Photo Rumors is now reporting that Pentax will also release a camera called the Pentax Q, featuring a 12MP backlit sensor. It is not clear, from the Photo Rumors posting, whether the Q will be the Pentax APS-C mirrorless camera which has been rumored separately (also by Photo Rumors) or something else.

Given that there are currently no backlit APS-C sensors in existence, I am wondering if the Pentax Q and NC1 are one and the same, while the APS-C offering (said to be "based on the K bayonet") is something else entirely.

There are many interesting format moves which seem to be in progress:
  • Pentax recently entered medium format digital, remains active in APS-C DSLR development, and is rumored to be introducing two separate mirrorless systems
  • Sony has a mirrorless APS-C system, is doubling down on SLT cameras, and is rumored to be exiting the 35mm format DSLR space
  • Panasonic has clearly deserted regular 4/3 to focus on Micro 4/3 (both still and video)
  • Olympus' dedication to regular 4/3 is unclear while they are clearly investing in Micro 4/3
  • Samsung has gotten more serious about small sensor cameras (eg TL500/EX1), is going "all in" with APS-C mirrorless, and there has been speculation that they may be entering the digital medium format space
  • Fuji now has a compelling APS-C compact, but there is no indication of their interest in building a system of similar cameras with/without interchangeable lenses
  • There are some rumors about Nikon considering a move into mirrorless, possibly with a smaller-than-4/3 sensor
  • Nothing known or even rumored about Canon's possible role in the mirrorless ecosystem

With commitments in place to digital medium format and also APS-C DSLR, I'd be surprised to see Pentax invest in two separate mirrorless interchangeable lens systems. I don't doubt that they've developed the prototypes, but two separate system announcements this summer? I'll believe it when I see it!

I'm with you Kyteflyer....being a long time Pentax user, has made me quite the realist. Not an APS-C sized mirrorless - or FF dSLR - in the next 5 years is my prediction.

Back