Pentax PENTAXians..... tell me about your favorite lenses

The DA35 Macro was my favorite lens and the one that nearly prevented me from selling all my Pentax gear. I thought briefly about getting myself a K30 body with this lens ... and then I ordered the Oly 17/1.8. :tongue:

--
Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

The DA 18-250 was a perfect combination with my old K200D. That was my preferred travel/vacation package before micro four thirds.

The K30 is very attractive at this price. I was thinking about picking one up as a backup body to my K5... until the K-01 dropped to $300.

Armando.....I have tried and tried, but I can't seem to find it. Fabric....screens.....no moire.

That's good to know! Thanks! You also had the original K5 as well right? How is the improvement of the AF accuracy on the K5IIs?

Very nice that makers are giving us these filter less options now.

I guess, if I had to choose just one lens to have with my K-5 it wouldn't actually be any of those I currently have. It would be the DA*55mm f/1.4. Why? Its about the f/l I like, and it has LOTS of pixie dust. I'm still saving for it. I would have it by now were it not for intervening Tom vet bills and car breakdowns. The k55 f/1.8 is very very good (and only cost me $55), but its all manual and I'm lazy. I like AF, and I also like f/1.4. The FA77mm is also a temptation because its so light, as opposed to Sigma's 85mm which weighs a ton.

For some excellent examples of what can be done with the DA*, check the PPG right here, and more particularly Simon Thomas on Flickr.

And for the FA77 Ltd, Niklas Larsson has some gorgeous stuff (check his Cosina Shots while you're at it), and of course, theres the PPG shots to be looking over, as well

[edit] Anyone considering Pentax at all, should check the PPG where you can choose a particular camera and/or lens to view examples from (not all combos will be available, if none have been submitted/accepted into the gallery)

That's good to know! Thanks! You also had the original K5 as well right? How is the improvement of the AF accuracy on the K5IIs?

Very nice that makers are giving us these filter less options now.

Armando......there is really a big difference in AF acquisition (esp in low light) and in accuracy.

The other huge plus is that on my original K5, nearly ALL my lenses needed micro focus adjustment, either (+) or (-)......sometimes a LOT.

None of these same lenses have needed any on the K5iiS. Why is that?

sue, I have a 55 1.8 but have the devil of a time trying to get a decent manual focus on it. Have you got any pics you've taken with it ? I'm thinking I must have a bad copy:(

This is a crop from the original, resized as well, and tweaked to heck. Pretty sure it was about f/5.6 or 8, but didnt make a note at the time.
8096441715_2ea16c26b3_b.jpg

Random Kid by kyte50, on Flickr

Another tweaked to heck
8165730902_3afdc893af_b.jpg

Weeds2 by kyte50, on Flickr

I also have some of Tom, but haven't posted them anywhere because I chose a too-wide aperture and anything past his nose is out of focus, bummer.

Sue, I've always loved that "weeds2" of yours. Some may say the bokeh is too busy, but i love it....gives it a nice feeling of a motion despite the fact that it's a still.
Thanks, Luke. I submitted it to the camera club EDI comp. The judge thought it was too busy. I like it also. I think a lot of this stuff, once you get past technical aspect, is very much eye of the beholder.

Read this thread with great interest. I only have the -M 50, 1.7, and a not very useable Tokina RMC 80-200. My only complaint with the "50",... sometimes wish for the normal 50 equiv. My take from the discussion so far, is that I need either the DA35 2.4 or 2.8 macro.
I like to do close-up, small stuff. I have several ways of doing that with normal lenses. It would be nice to have a macro/normal, do everything lens. I almost always set out with one camera/lens, and work with what's in the hand. My camera budget is busted for a while, so will continue with what I have, for now. ....Unless one of you have one of the 35's, you would be interested in trading for My nice E-p2 ? :)

Christilou, I haven't used the K-30 but I have used the FA77 with the K-7, K20D and K10D. I found that the viewfinders were "okay" but I liked them better after adding the viewfinder magnifying eyecup that is available from Pentax. That magnifier makes the viewfinder appear larger and it's easier to visually confirm correct focus. The only problem with those is that they don't work as well for people who wear glasses -- people with glasses can't see the corners of the viewfinder frame when the magnifier is attached because your eye is pushed back from the viewfinder. I used to wear glasses and that was annoying but after getting Lasik surgery a couple of years ago it hasn't been a problem.

Read this thread with great interest. I only have the -M 50, 1.7, and a not very useable Tokina RMC 80-200. My only complaint with the "50",... sometimes wish for the normal 50 equiv. My take from the discussion so far, is that I need either the DA35 2.4 or 2.8 macro.
I like to do close-up, small stuff. I have several ways of doing that with normal lenses. It would be nice to have a macro/normal, do everything lens. I almost always set out with one camera/lens, and work with what's in the hand. My camera budget is busted for a while, so will continue with what I have, for now. ....Unless one of you have one of the 35's, you would be interested in trading for My nice E-p2 ? :)

After the last K-5 firmware update, you'll have to prise my 35 macro from my cold dead hands (is that the expression?). Its come along nicely, AF is *much* faster and more accurate than it used to be and it has now taken its place as my favourite prime (I still love the 15 and 55, but the 35 is, as they say "just right")

8543336573_041bd1d239_c.jpg

Tom... Again by kyte50, on Flickr

8456170251_b5d5783690_z.jpg

Paperwasp by kyte50, on Flickr

@Luke, and @Steve... cannot recommend this lens highly enough.

Back