personal data and privacy

If you didnt actually delete your account (which you can do, otherwise under normal circumstances its just suspended) you can do that.

The first time I suspended it, the second I deleted it but what I understood was if I wanted to go back.. I could. There was nothing to warn me that I could never gain access to it again-- at least not at the time. Yes we are out there however all that was willingly put out there was a few comments and a lot of photographs. From that should not come my personal registration info like name, addy, panty size.. you know.

The first time I suspended it, the second I deleted it but what I understood was if I wanted to go back.. I could. There was nothing to warn me that I could never gain access to it again-- at least not at the time. Yes we are out there however all that was willingly put out there was a few comments and a lot of photographs. From that should not come my personal registration info like name, addy, panty size.. you know.

re deleting... what they dont tell you is that suspending and deleting amount to the same thing in the end. there are a few hoops to jump through if you want permanent deletion.

re info...agreed!!

This is a very interesting thread which I have just found, I joined Facebook when it was the 'rage' with friends (mainly younger) all joining , however I became bored with very quickly and closed my account.
I joined Twitter which isn't much better for me.
I do understand there appeal to the younger generation, as to passwords; I read fairly recently that a password with at least two digits in it was very hard to 'hack' my Online banking has always had at least 6 letters and four or five digits. I don't use the same p/w for every site/forum especially where I maybe spending money and only use sites that I know are fully fledged companies.
Having once lost £110. to a non existent so called company I am far more careful now, and in that particular case I had used a debit card which is not at present covered by UK banks, whereas Credit cards are covered against fraud for over £100.

My 18 year old son and all his friends came off Facebook a couple of years ago. Interestingly he found it boring and too prescriptive. He is a big Twitterer - it's how I find out what he's up to... :rolleyes:

I was over at Thom Hogan's google+ feed and I actually like the look of google+. I doubt from a security perspective it is any better than facebook. Just something I may look into.

Back