Photo Rescue

Discussion in 'Film Camera Forum' started by ReD, Jan 25, 2015.

1. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Photo Rescue

Back in 78 my family took a holiday in Salou, Spain. Barcelona was a short train ride away & the opportunity of seeing Gaudi’s work first hand was too good to miss. My own Zenit E had started to rip & chew up film so I borrowed my friends E. It was only after developing later I found out that its exposure meter was way off & nearly all photos were very under exposed & virtually unreadable. They have sat in their boxes ever since.

I pushed some slides through my new scanner and then re processed so Here are 2 samples of photo rescues of images I had previously written off. What a wonder modern technology is.
    Moral – never throw photos away.
    Boots Slide Film Zenit E

• Like Like x 5
  2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Ohhh. I really like that first one...

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I like a good news story.

4. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit SC Regular

Dec 26, 2014
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Funnily enough, I had the same sort of problem. I was taking photographs with my Fed 3 back in 1981 and some of the negatives were horribly underexposed and the prints were unusable. I kept all the old negatives and last year scanned them into my PC. Now, the image isn't important to anyone but me - it's my folks - but they were delighted to see themselves outside their old home over 30 years ago.
    Ma%20and%20Pa%201981.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    That first once is really magical, it really translates the mystery of the place. Also, I don't know it it's true, but it makes it look as if the place was not yet overrun by tourists as it is today - cool!

Ivor - good job keeping the photo. Finding / rescuing a personal image like that can be a real treasure!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit SC Regular

Dec 26, 2014
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Thanks Bart - it's a horrible mess, the colours are all over the place (I think it was the last exposure on the roll) but, as you rightly say it's the image and not the technical niceties which count in this situation. :thumbup:

7. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Perceptive comment. It was in fact closed to the public & I think inhabited.The Lobby door was open & so I sneaked in as far as the light well. Outside was some form of bus type shelter chopping of the ground level from the street scene. I also found one of his buildings that wasn't on the tour guide at the time.

8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    A Corsair, a Marina and a Capri.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit SC Regular

Dec 26, 2014
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    And a gold Ford Granada at the very back... Ah, the memories.

10. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    I think there was one of each of those examples in my road when I was growing up in the 70s. Ten years later it was mostly German and Japanese makes.

-R

11. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    correction - Not so much a building more a gateway - a stand alone feature somewhere in the Northern end of the city - I was elated at its discovery

Clever sod used chains to support the roof & restrain wind uplift.
    The gate at the side is 3D curved to the opening

• Like Like x 2
  12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Can anyone play? I've got some old shots which were taken by various not-me people and am in the process of restoring with a view to making a photo book. Many were subject to water damage when I was foolish enough to leave them in the care of friends... who didn't really care... when I left Oz for a few months.

Here's one which survived fairly well. I've cropped it and repaired scratches. Its of my Nan (left) and Mum (right) in the mid 1930s, before the war. Back then, and for many years after I joined the family, the weekly outing into the City (Sydney) meant getting dressed up in "good" clothes, with hat and gloves. I remember having to do that as a child.

nanmum.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 3