Photobook

Discussion in 'Printing' started by Dewi Sant, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    Have any of our UK members here any recommendations for printing companies who produce good quality photobooks at reasonable cost? I need to get some of my travel shots made into prints so suggestions would very welcome. I used CEWE Photoworld a while back to make a wedding album up for my niece, they did a really good job but I can't get their software to download for some reason. It's locked up my computer twice now so I'm reluctant to continue with to be honest in case it does some damage.

:smile: D

2. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I tried Blurb and wasn't impressed with the printing or the size of the book. I just did a wedding album using Apple that I found easy to do and was pleased with the results. You need to get your photos into iPhoto though.

3. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    Thanks for that, Christina - I've just been looking at Blurb, I'll give them a miss now I think! :smile:

4. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I have received as gifts photo books done by Snapfish, and they look pretty good to me. Though I had nothing to complain about with the "Single in January" hardback done by Blurb.

5. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Fuji do them - but I haven't tried them

6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I think *if/when* I ever get round to doing one, I will probably do it through Apple. I had a calendar done years ago, for a friend, and the quality was outstanding even though the photographs (at that stage of my photographic life) were not. Pricewise, they arent bad at all, and I think they might still do free shipping. You do need iPhoto or Aperture though.

7. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    Thanks Sue, I've sorted CEWE Photoworld now. It wouldn't let me download the files directly so I tried saving them to a different folder and ran them from there - it worked. As I say, I've used it before so I'm quite familiar with the software even if it is a bit of a faff. My biggest problem now is deciding what to put in and what to leave out - this could take a while! :smile:

8. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    I've had a couple of books done by Blurb and was impressed. My pics are a little bit scruffier processed than christilou's work though.

9. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    I used Blurb for a small test book and I thought it was good. However if I do another I will remember to lighten the pics I use.
    My book was over a stop under exposed. Now I like my images a little on the dark side On my iMac they look fine , But it seems
    on paper, too dark.

10. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    This is worth everybody paying attention to.

How images on screen are NOT how they will look on paper.

Remember that a screen image is illuminated by emission while a printed image (whether digitally printed, offset, litho or darkroom) is illuminated by reflection.

You can get some idea by using soft-proofing, but it is at best an approximation

• Like Like x 3
  11. christilou

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    My Blurb book had banding and my daughter who is a graphic designer and has lots of stuff printed, agreed that it wasn't the best. Having requested some help from customer service I was met with a rather curt reply and henceforth I won't be using them again :dash2:

• Like Like x 1
  12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    This is why I made the effort a couple of years ago to get a decent screen, and I'll be doing some test printing as well. I found, in the past, that if its apparently a tad too light on screen, it will be OK on paper. Haven't done *any* printing since getting the Epson, now thinking I need not have bothered. But, at least it came with profiles for the mac, for printing. Must give it a whirl before committing to a photobook.

13. christilou

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Digressing just a little, my eldest daughter had some pictures printed on glossy paper, some just scanned at work and some directly from my Lightroom catalog and I was really amazed....... they look so much better than on my screen :) It's given me some impetus to actually print my stuff now on proper paper :) This was Jessops btw.

14. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    I have had good results with blurb in the past. But one of the best books I have made was done through Adorama. They use real photo paper. In fact I have been happy with all the prints I have gotten by them too. I am not sure about their international pricing/shipping, but you may want to check them out.