1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photography v Art

Discussion in 'Photography Techniques' started by ReD, Feb 26, 2015.

1. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Thought I’d have a go at a Pastel sketch as a change from photography. The attempt after so many years was such a disappointment that I immediately went out and bought gouache paints. The Pastel drawing remains unfinished & insipid on paper. The gouache paint box is unopened at the moment.

Last night I tried a few photos of the pastel drawing & re- tweaked it – A crop helped then after some more adjustments it brought more detail out & gave me another viewpoint I hadn’t thought of to maybe start another drawing.

Truth be told I’m now more inclined to print & hang the photo than the original “artwork” in all its insipid glory - it will still need a bit more work before printing though.

Lessons learned

1. Don’t exclude any medium.
    2. Photography can & does help
    3. Always experiment
    4. Digital costs less
    16651135071_969190002c_b.jpg

Pastel Detail 1

by roger-evans, on Flickr​

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    I like that. I really do.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I like it too. I think part of what led me to photography was my inability to draw ANYTHING - I suck at stick figures. Kind of like I play a bad guitar because I can't sing. If I could create an image out of whole cloth like you just did, I'd probably put my camera down. And if I could sing, I'd only use my guitar as an accompany instrument...

Nice work - enjoy the process...

-Ray

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Thanks Kyle & Ray - There's Satisfaction + Frustration in both methods & each takes time the more you play
    just reworked the original & playing with a Pan stitch of all things

5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    i like these hybrid media things you do

6. NightBird

NightBird SC Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    That would look great on my wall!

7. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit SC Regular

Dec 26, 2014
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I have a severe disability. I cannot render what my eye sees onto paper. That's why I'm a photographer too - I have the knack of 'seeing' compositions wherever I look and all it takes is for me to raise my camera to my eye and voila!

8. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Has to be viewed as a learning exercise especially as this & subsequent tweaks have not worked as well as I hoped for.

9. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
  10. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I like the drawing, but you make such fine photographs, I'd hate to see you abandon your cameras.

11. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    well thanks Lawrence - no danger but hopefully a bit more drawing as well - its more time consuming though

12. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I love it's vibrancy. No reason not to mix up the mediums. I love colour but can't paint or draw to save my life. I find fiddling around with VSCO film and colour/curves in LR give me an outlet for my creative side.