Photography websites worth your time

Discussion in 'Philosophy of Photography' started by olli, Nov 29, 2010.

1. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    How about some suggestions for good photography websites to go with the good photography books?

Here are two to start with, both with a German accent, that I check every day:

Conscientious run by Jörg M. Colberg is 'dedicated to contemporary fine-art photography'.
    The Sonic Blog is the work of Peter Feldhaus and is 'dedicated to art photography focussing on contemporary photography from Europe and the USA.'

• Like Like x 4
  2. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Boxed Light - Photography by Jim Radcliffe by Jim Radcliffe.

I came across his website when researching which compact camera to buy, saw his Leica D-Lux photos which are just awesome. I went with the cheaper Panasonic LX5 which I've just bought online yesterday, waiting for the package to arrive. I had the D-Lux 5 and LX5 in mind already but couldn't justify the x2 price increase.

• Like Like x 6
  3. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    I found Jim Radcliffe's photos too, that's what led me to legacy lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  4. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Thanks Neil. Some great suggestions. Only one of them previously known to me. Particularly happy to find The Invisible Ph t grapher - fantastic images and great content.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grant

Grant SC Veteran

Nov 12, 2010
    Lunenburg Nova Scotia
    A site that I have been following for a very long time is "daily dose of imagery" by Sam J avanrouh. he mainly uses a Canon EOS 5D Mark II and a Panasonic GF1.

Edited by Amin to put a space between J and a since our forum automatically censors the word "j a v a".

• Like Like x 4
  6. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Love boxed light. Has been one of my favorite sites to visit.

7. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    This is going to turn out to be a dangerous thread for me - more time to spend doing what I enjoy! Looking at pictures...but it's good timing for the upcoming winter.

Many thanks and keep 'em coming!

• Like Like x 1
  8. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    What was it about the legacy lenses that you liked? I'm still learning about the differences between the brands of lenses, I'm afraid I can't really see the difference yet. I can only assume it's like when I hear the difference between an upright piano and a Steinway concert grand, or maybe even between two very well made grands like say a Steinway and a Baldwin.

I wish he was able to update his site more often with new photos but I know photography is only a hobby for him. It's inspiring to see what he can do with his compacts, half of which is also attributable to his post-treatment skills with photoshop.

9. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
  10. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    • Like Like x 1
  11. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    From Tbilisi the website of local photographer Gia Chkhatarashvili. Don't worry if you can't pronounce it.

Have a look at his series on Ushguli (the highest village in Europe in the NW of Georgia where he has been returning year after year for 20 years to shoot), his village portraits and his landscapes (one of which is currently on its way to me to hang on the wall).

• Like Like x 2
  12. ricks

ricks SC Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Thanks Olli. What a fantastic series of portraits, and some of the village series made me think of Eugene Smith. Wonderful B&W.

• Like Like x 2
  13. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Flare Magazine is currently running a series on the top ten German photographers under 30. Some fabulous images.

• Like Like x 2
  14. texascbx

texascbx SC Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Canton Texas
    Ricky
    Wyman Meinzer the state photographer of Texas. The guy knows how to take some cool shots. The night pics he takes where he "paints" the buildings with his spotlights are just breathtaking.

Wyman Meinzer

• Like Like x 3
  15. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I woke up to find an email from my daughter with James Nachtwey's website sent as a link. She wanted me to look at his photographs. I began with his home page which has a quotation and then a listing of headings on the left. As I clicked through them, I knew I was looking at images I would never forget. Afterwards, I read his biography. Here is the Home page link: James Natchwey's website: James Nachtwey

"I have been a witness, and these pictures are
    my testimony. The events I have recorded should
    not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

-James Nachtwey-

• Like Like x 1
  16. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Stunning

• Like Like x 1
  17. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    I was blown away the first time I saw Nachtwey's images. But what changed my life - literally!! - is watching Christian Frei's documentary on him called "The War Photographer". For those who have not seen it, well I cannot recommend it highly enough! Be warned some scenes are gruesome and others horrific, but well worth the overall feeling and appreciation you walk away with.

OK, it's not a website, but......hey, maybe there are portions available for viewing online if that validates this entry. I bought the DVD and watch it every now and again for inspiration.

The Luddite - aka Stills :redface:

• Like Like x 1
  18. vincechu

vincechu SC Veteran

Sep 14, 2010
    Out of the sites mentioned Nachtwey's really caught my eye, some of his photos are incredibly touching.

A blog that I recently visited is Ashwin Rao's Life at Shutter Speed - I just love his post processing (beautiful colours) and photography style (kind of street/candid) Ashwin Rao's Blog - A life at shutter speed

• Like Like x 1