1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

pi and whatnot

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by pdh, Oct 16, 2014.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
  2. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Yummy, polar coordinates, I used to enjoy those :biggrin: Can't thing why I didn't come up with those equations on one of my sleepless nights, although perhaps it was because i never realised there was a problem, having never photographed a revolving propellor. I do have some flapping dragonfly wings that might be as a result of the same phenomenon, though on reflection probably not.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  3. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I cannot resist posting this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtg1NmfKrg

and before anyone gets all "what-are-the-kids-of-today-coming-to?" about her, I'll just say I think if she were my daughter, I'd be proud to see her asking such an astute question :)

4. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    An interesting article, as I have found myself wondering about the weird shapes you see in digital images of propeller blades. They are clearly scanning artefacts, but I've never seen a good explanation until now.

Alias effects in spinning stagecoach wheels in old cowboy movies were much easier to understand.

-R

5. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    All of this reallly makes me look forward to Sony's rumored global shutter sensor.

6. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    :eek: I think I'll just scuttle back to the Mailonline ! Interesting indeed but I can't even begin to understand anything but the picture examples

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Takes me back some 50 years when I understood the maths. :confused:

8. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Ah, good stuff. Clears out the cobwebs in my brain. :thumbup: