1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pictures and specs- Panasonic GF6

Discussion in 'News and Rumors' started by Boid, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    at this point in the game, I have NO idea who buys this camera for nearly $700. It is nearly identical to the last 4 Panasonic (and the compact Olys as well) cameras that can all be had for $300-$400. I think it's a lot better looking than the last couple gf series cameras, but since the gf1 I stopped caring about the gf series.

2. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    For that price it should use the GH2/G5 sensor which is a little better in some areas than the one in the GX1 -- assuming the article is correct.

It does seem like a lot of money.

3. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    +1

4. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    This

5. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I couldn't agree with you more Luke. Why has Panasonic bothered launching this camera at all? So it has "wireless" capabilities. Big whoop-de-whoop.

6. Fiddler

Fiddler SC Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Colin
    + 1

7. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    I don't this camera is aimed at the likes that loiter in places like this, but rather the general consumer that's taken one too many poor photos with their phone but not ready for a committed relationship (dSLR). In any case, it looks sharper than the jelly beans they've been hawking lately.

8. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    But they should aim for us, John, they should! To quote Willy Wonka quoting Arthur O'Shaughnessy: "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

9. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    But didn't they split the GF line into consumer (GF) and enthusiast (GX)? Hopefully the GX2 will have the same sensor as the GH3. We can't have all cameras designed for us - we've gotta share!

In either case, most of know better now to wait six months for the inevitable deep discount, which will turn this sow's ear into a silk purse for many.

But if the unwashed masses are willing to pay full retail, good for Panasonic; that just means more $$$ for camera R&D.

10. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    I suppose they did at that. I've never followed Panasonic much so I didn't pick up on the naming convention -- I've been too interested in Olympus. But my LX7 has me seeing both sides have their strengths and I'm looking forward to playing with the G5 that's coming to me.

11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I doubt I will buy another panasonic anything. I often feel tempted until I remember what total arses Panasonic Australia were when I was trying to get a battery charger for my FZ100 (I bought from B&H, not realising that the charger was not just a block on the end of a figure 8 cord, which I have plenty of, in AU config, but a block hardwired to the plugs which of course don't fit AU. I do have an adapter but it was a pain when I wanted to sell it, nobody wanted to buy with the US plug + adapter). Basically, in Australia, they dont stock much in the way of spare bits and pieces. I had to go to ebay (and got one eventually, 2 years later). I wonder how people go if they lose things like that, in Australia.

12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I suspect that Panasonic probably knows more about what kind of cameras sell than we do. Anyway, this is a decent upgrade when compared with the GF5. Hopefully it means that any future GX2 will also have the tilting screen.

13. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    That is SO uninspiring and dull! oh well, will have to wait and see what the GX2 is going to be like at the end of the year.

14. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    GF6 - one word: Feh.