1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PIMP my raw (a processing challenge) - WINNER ANNOUCED

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Luke, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Some of you enjoy shooting and loathe the processing. This challenge is for the rest of you. I love digging into the software and tearing it up. Sliders to 11.......whoah.....that's a bit too much. There we go....much better.

Anyways, I have a raw file for you to play with (and sorry it's in PEF format because I haven't set my camera to DNG.....my bad.....but most of you file meddlers should find a way to open it....if not, let me know and I can send you a TIFF of it or something). The composition is nothing special and it looks quite dark, but that's partly intent. Feel free to do anything at all to it. Crops for re-composition are recommended. I'm also fine with complete manipulation if that's something you enjoy. I think there's potential for a mono treatment or go with nature's colors (or some wild variant). There's plenty of work to be done pulling stuff out of the shadows (or just blocking them if you prefer).

We'll give everyone until the end of the weekend to play with it and upload their finished version here. I'll announce my fave on Monday and the winner can then re-start with a RAW of their own.

Now PIMP this....... http://dropcanvas.com/r5nlw (you should just be able to click this link and download the file IMGP4756.PEF) And the link and file disappear in 3 days so don't delay.

If you can't open the PEF file, I have added a TIFF and a JPG here....... http://dropcanvas.com/bev4p

ALSO, so this might be a little educational (rather than just a bunch of people playing with sliders), please let us know what you did, any software and if possible WHY you did what you did. Insight behind how the mind works is more helpful than just looking at the finished product.

• Like Like x 2
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Opened it succesfully in Faststone Image Viewer, then exported as TIFF and edited in GIMP (dunno if GIMP could've opened it by itself, but faststone is really quick and opens pretty much any file you throw at it).

Fairly gentle edit for a gentle image. Cropped it down to the essentials (IMO; also, I just like the aspect ratio to be strongly horizontal, a bit cinematic) and applied a curves preset that's supposed to mimic Kodak Portra film, but is probably a bit too blue. In this instance, I like how it enhanced the night colours while at the same time bringing out the yellow in the flowers. That (cropping and preset) is all I did...

IMGP4756-g.

(Edit) for some reason I'm not seeing the right hand side 20% or so of the image; the second flower should be visible in its entirety. Dunno if others see the image properly? If not, you can view the full image in my PL gallery.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Opened right up in Lightroom. Did cropping and minor stuff there, then off to Color Efex Pro and played with godknowswhat filters until it looked like this:

35039423.cfacfb28.1024.
    untitled-1-Edit par Ray S., on ipernity

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  4. Livnius

Livnius SC Veteran

Jun 3, 2012
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I bought ColorEfex just for the Godknowswhat filter !

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Yeah, well since it doesn't keep any sort of record of what you did once you hit the "save" button, I find that the godknowswhat is the filter I use most often by FAR.

If you ask me to go back and recreate something, I can occasionally get close, but can pretty much never replicate it, and often can't even get that close... So, whether godknows or Godknows, I know for damn sure that I don't know... :wink:

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  6. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    With my limited processing skills that image is a serious challenge, so I went a little crazy with it, trying to get the two flowers to pop...

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Dean, I had never even considered making that other one pop. I'll give you extra credit for that. That doesn't mean that cropping it or leaving it as a secondary feature is worth less. All 3 have their selling points. All 3 are pretty straight up, too. But I suppose you give people a bad flower photo, there's only so much that can be done. Keep 'em coming everyone.

8. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    Well, I wanted to follow that tried and tested rule of leaving as much dead space smack dab in the middle of the image as possible. I even cropped to accentuate that. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  9. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    DXO Kodachrome 25 max saturation, then to Color Efex for solarization, minor crop. Pimped.

luke-pimped.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'm already learning new things from this. I had never heard that advice before. Lately I've been leaving massive dead space in a corner/half. I never think of centering anything unless I want to go over the top with it.

11. ivoire

ivoire SC All-Pro

Dec 3, 2011
    chicago burbs
    mike
    Cropped, rotated, used color efex and p shop lighting and field blur

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. ivoire

ivoire SC All-Pro

Dec 3, 2011
    chicago burbs
    mike
    and then bnw with silver efex

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    Woke up blurry eyed far to early this morning , saw this challenge . So this was done squinting at my overly bright phone screen in snapseed.
    I am now going back to sleep. 544b3049282b157beb31544415bbf695.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    since we already have some nice low key variations I thought I'd see how how much light I can throw on these roses.
    Make it nice and daylit. Or at least daylit :smile:

PhotoNinja for the raw conversion and ColorEfex in Photoshop for the 'final touch'

IMGP4756_v1_web.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I tried a "clean" b&w sepia toned edit. I thought the composition worked as is. Left to right and then pulled in to the back.

9VzmGF1.

I should talk a bit about the edit. LR+SilverEfex. Changed the colour temperature in LR, increased vibrance quite a bit before taking it to SilverEfex (that helps a lot in creating tonal contrast). Finally removed noise using Dfine2, and locally sharpened the main flower. That's it.

• Like Like x 4
  16. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Silkypix says "cannot read unsupported camera file" both jpeg & tiff

17. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Jpeg Crop via Picasa - Various filters / soft focus / zoom/ desaturate / glow/ sharpen/ etc
    not necessarily in that order

• Like Like x 3
  18. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Roses are Red, Violets are Blue,
    adjusting the Luminance and changing the Hue......

15091275580_0c58e7f987_c. IMGP4756-HDR by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  19. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Collage

• Like Like x 2
  20. yehongxiang

yehongxiang SC Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Not sure if I changed it too much, but I thought the flower should look a little sadder.

IMGP4756.

• Like Like x 2