Film Pinhole Design

ReD

Hall of Famer
Tempted to adapt my old STX1 35mm to a pinhole camera

has anyone any experience of adapting an old 35mm camera & if so what were the results like?

Recommendations for film type ?

Basic focal length from lens mount to back plate is around 45mm & I have some old screw type tube extensions which can add another 55mm

Seems like there is a wealth of info to get my head around eg :- PinholeDesigner [pinhole.cz]

I tried it once with an SLR - probably an OM10. I made a pinhole in a piece of cardboard and stuck it directly on the lens mount, then I guessed at a suitable exposure time.

From memory, the results were dreadful. I'm guessing that the pinhole to film distance needed to be longer, so you might do better with extension tubes.

-R

Thanks for that pictorgramax - unless I'm reading it wrong it seems the hole size is misquoted eg the pentax screw mount 0.24mm - the hole looks huge

In my case holes will be whatever the pin / drill size is & I'll have to adjust the other dims to suit. (how do you get 0.24mm in DIY drill bit ?)
From the calcs I've done so far seems that max 0.4mm with 70mm focal length suits the 35mm - but I need to work through them more

I created a pinhole "lens" for my dslr using a spare body cap that I bought, a teeny tiny drill bit and then to keep dust from being sucked in, a clear filter slipped inside the body cap. The hardest part was measuring for dead center on the filter cap but it does work. If you aren't as industrious you can see if there is a Skink Pinhole Pancake for you camera brand. I bought one for my m39 rangefinder.

Back