Played with a GX1....WOW!

Discussion in 'Panasonic/Leica Forum' started by Ghosthunter, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Managed to have a quick go on the new GX1 with 14-42mm X series lens and it is really nice. Looks almost identical to the GF1 but has a better grip and metal high quality buttons on the back. The model I handled also had the 1.4m dot EVF which was brilliant!! It looks and feels a great package and will produce great images with it's G3 innards!

• Like Like x 3
  2. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran

Jul 6, 2010
    Should I be getting my pre-order in anytime soon?

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Too late David..Andy beat ya to the punch.

4. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Sounds very nice. I can't wait to play with one. I don't think it's the camera for me when I move on from my GF1, but I'll certainly look at it.

5. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    I've heard about issues with the 14-42mm X lens at the long end. Any indication of this with your experience? What is the experience like of zooming with that lens? Is it fast? Can it step zoom?

6. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I have not heard any issues for the 14-42 'X' lens. The zoom is a little slow but IQ is very good. Manual focus is tricky though. I did ask ablut OIS problems at certain focal lengths for the 45-175 but the rep said he had not heard of any problems.

Nah, as nice as it is I'm happy with my G3.

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Andy my brother, I'm saving your last post and when needed... Well...

8. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    You know me too well!!:rofl:

9. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Sounds good. Now Panasonic just need to deliver on the promised 12-35 and this could be a great set up. Of course if the 12-35 and future X lenses are all power zooms that's a different story.

10. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    We should be getting a 12-35 and another that slips my mind, both will be f2.8!!

11. soundimageplus

Jul 6, 2010
    I think you might have a world exclusive there! Can I quote that on my blog???

12. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    oooh erm I dunno where I stand with giving out info. You can always say that you were told by an unconfirmed source?? :biggrin:

13. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    The other one is a 35-100. Pansonic haven't revealed the maximum aperture except to say that they will be 'bright'. (Sorry, can't find the link to the original report).

These two correspond to the traditional 24-70 and 70-200 zooms on FF which I imagine has given rise to the speculation that they will both be 2.8. I'm more inclined to think that the former could well be 2.8 and the latter perhaps 4.

The mack ups presented by Panny don't look like they have the power zoom feature and they weren't described as such so I'm hoping they won't, but from the presentation it seems that these are still at an early stag of development so presumably a lot could change.

If the 12-35 is indeed a good quality f2.8 it could certainly tempt me to jump ship. This lens, the Oly 12 and the Panny 25 would cover just about everything I could ever want. Let's see what Sony can deliver with their promised high quality G standard zoom.

Isn't competition great?

14. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Ahh yes that's the one. The rep showed me proof in his folder that they will both be f2.8 so both lenses should be pretty stunning...I hope!

• Like Like x 1
  15. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Excellent if they can do it for the bigger lens - judging from the images it didn't look like it would be big enough to be a 2.8. Though if it were me I'd prefer a more compact f4 since I more interested in the wider stuff.

Don't suppose the rep had any notes about potential price range?

16. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Sadly not :eek:(

17. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Hmmm...so Andy how does the new Panasonic EVF compare with the old Oly VF2? Also do you know whether they are compatible/interchangeable?

Certainly not thinking of trading the EP3 or anything....but the PL25 is days away and I just wondered, if I can't live with the rattlesnake, what my alternatives might be..:blush: If tests show that the GX isn't similarly afflicted of course

18. soundimageplus

Jul 6, 2010
  19. stratokaster

stratokaster SC Top Veteran

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Pavel
    You certainly were NOT thinking of selling the X100, were you? :wink:

20. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010