Played with the Lytro Illum today

Name
Andy
What a weird camera. The camera is bigger than it looks in images but it's not heavy and feels nice in the hand. We only got a little play as the battery was low but we could see the depth of field change when reviewing an image on the back of the camera. Spooky how the DOF just changes to where you want. Looks a great idea and will probably be on every camera before long.

post-33144-0-28838000-1398429331.jpg

They are quite expensive and I'm not convinced that the IQ is up to much but I would have to try one before passing judgment. Looks a cracking concept that will probably be in all imaging software before long.

They are quite expensive and I'm not convinced that the IQ is up to much but I would have to try one before passing judgment. Looks a cracking concept that will probably be in all imaging software before long.

I think it will be niche for a good long while. The problem is that it trades resolution for that ability. Color also trades resolution for color but it's only 2-3x versus 10x for the Lytros. Would people rather have a 40MP image or a 4MP? How many people actually want to adjust the focus after taking the image? I played with those live Lytro images for a bit and the novelty wears off quickly. I rather have the higher resolution.

Back