1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Please help me solve a bag conundrum...

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Lightmancer, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Okay, please bear with me on this, and read to the end before responding.

I am in the market for a photo backpack. I have one at the moment but it is cheap and starting to get a bit ratty. What it does do is hold everything I want to carry, to wit:
    1 Domke F5Xb, containing a Fuji X100T, WCL and TCLX100 converters back to back, a pouch with batteries, memory cards, hood and charging cable.
    1 Fuji XPro2 with 14, 18-135, 27 and 35 (f2) lenses plus a pouch with batteries, memory cards and card reader.
    1 Portable telephone
    1 Kindle paperwhite
    1 "electronic handbag" (as my wife calls it) with assorted cables, chargers etc for all of the above.
    1 shemagh
    1 cap, flat, head for the use of
    1 folding shopping bag
    1 folding umbrella
    1 Leuchtturm notebook ('cos Moleskines aren't made like they were)
    1 pen
    1 set of keys

Now, the only time it will be fully loaded like this is when travelling to and from my destination. It must therefore be carry-on baggage compatible. I don't need quick access to the Domke or it's contents while in transit.
    At my destination I will empty out the bag and either carry it with the XPro2 and lenses and a jumper etc or I will leave it behind and just take the Domke out with me.
    It must be a backpack. A sling is useless to me partly because it doesn't spread the weight very well and partly because I am left-handed and they all open for the convenience of right-handers.
    It must be light.
    It must be robust.
    It must be discreet.
    It must be moderately stylish; the ballistic nylon, urban ninja look is anathema to me. Think canvas and leather trim.
    It must be comfortable - I may need to wear it fully laden while wandering around airports with my main case in tow.
    I don't mind too much if I have to take it off to access the X-Pro and lenses and value security over accessibility, within reason.

I ordered a Manfrotto Perspectives 15 but that did not have enough camera storage space. I'm wondering about some of the National Geographic bags, particularly the Africa medium size but I can't find a local stockist o given a try and I'm not sure about security.

Any ideas...?

2. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    I instantly thought of a mule but I'm not sure how you would get it on the plane!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
  5. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Ah, that's not the one - my bad, it's not the Africa. It's this one I was thinking of: National Geographic Medium Camera Rucksack: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
    ... but the problem with this one is that bizarre access panel. I can see all sorts of expensive accidents as well as theft possibilities with this setup:
    61ebv3xD1IL._SL1000_.

6. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
  7. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Nope. That's a ninja sling.... ;)

8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    just looking at this bullet-point list.....

It must be a backpack.
    It must be light.
    It must be robust.
    It must be discreet.
    It must be moderately stylish
    It must be comfortable

...... there are a few items here that are mutually exclusive. Or am I the only one that thinks backpacks are ugly by nature (I have one for travel, but I HATE it)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    No, y'see, it's that ninja thing again. Remember "...the ballistic nylon, urban ninja look is anathema to me..." Not obly do I not want a black nylon one because I want to avoid looking like an SAS wannabee but in practical terms, I'm mostly going to be using it in hot countries. Khaki canvas is more practical and more in keeping.

10. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Light
    Robust
    Discreet

Pick two.

11. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
  13. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
  14. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    what aspect of a dedicated photo section matters to you?

If it's just protection, there are photobag type inserts for turning ANY bag into a photography bag? Would that do the trick for you?

15. marlof

marlof Trying to focus

Dec 25, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Marlof
    Ona Camps Bay???? Dunno if it's big enough. It's stylish and expensive enough 'though. ;)

16. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    the price tag on that one is not for the faint of heart

17. marlof

marlof Trying to focus

Dec 25, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Marlof
    Yeah, this makes me happy that I'm a Ballistic Ninja with my F-Stop bags. It does look stylish though....