1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

please use BB code instead of HTML code

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by kyteflyer, Feb 22, 2013.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Please, if you are linking to flickr images, use BBCode and NOT HTML for displaying your photographs. There have often been issues regarding the display and now, with the new theme for smaller displays, the same issue is cropping up. HTML displayed images end up squared and disproportionate, and look awful. Its no great difficulty to use BBCode instead, its right there as an option next to HTML, as a first choice (and its the default, too)

Take pity, please, on those of us who don't want to change themes just to see your images in proper proportion.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

Please, some help here.. I know what HTML coding looks like, I think I may know bbcode.. But can u give us an example of a bbcode?

Thanks
    Gary

3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    HTML

PHP:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicprins/8499622144/" title="C350D-IMG_9332-PR Canon EOS 350D Halong Bay Vietnam by Nic (Luckypenguin), on Flickr">[ATTACH=full]65839[/ATTACH]"800" height="533" alt="C350D-IMG_9332-PR Canon EOS 350D Halong Bay Vietnam"></a>

BB

PHP:
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicprins/8499622144/][ATTACH=full]65839[/ATTACH][/url]
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicprins/8499622144/]C350D-IMG_9332-PR Canon EOS 350D Halong Bay Vietnam[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/nicprins/]Nic (Luckypenguin)[/url], on Flickr
    The first line of the BB code is the only part that actually displays the image. The rest is a bunch of links that flickr automatically adds to link back to the image or the photographer's photostream. The image is a clickable link anyway so the second part of the code isn't really necessary.

The only part that is used to display the image itself is this bit:

PHP:
    [ATTACH=full]65839[/ATTACH]

which gives this (image only, no link):

8499622144_785655b5b6_c.

The full flickr BB code gives this:

8499622144_785655b5b6_c.
    C350D-IMG_9332-PR Canon EOS 350D Halong Bay Vietnam by Nic (Luckypenguin), on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

Sorry somehow I am not seeing the bob code values in the same way I c the HTML ones. It is probably because I use ForumRunner app on my iPad. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think bb code for an image would be left bracket symbol ([)IMG] xxxx [/IMG]"?

Gary

5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Doesn't anyone use computers these days? :biggrin:

But yes, that's correct. Of course the link inside the IMG brackets has to be to the actual image file location, not the page that the image displays on.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

Lol, I use computers all the time in my profession... An iPad is just a specialized computer. iOS is nothing more than a very specialized version of the normal Mac operating system very specifically tailored for the hand held environment. Just as the Mac OS is nothing more then a specialized GUI over unix os :D.

Thanks

Peace
    Gary

7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    [​IMG]
    Yum, Pizza! by kyte50, on Flickr

Copied from Flickr on my iPad. The app you use to access forums has nothing at all to do eith the link you get from Flickr. Or it should not. The share link on Flickr has many options, of which HTML and BBCode are choices you make by radio button. It doesn't matter if you don't know the code, you just have to choose it --> select all --> copy, then paste into your post. Done and dusted

And thats what it looks like on flickr.

8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
  9. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    OMG now I am hungry.. amazing looking pizza!

10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    LOL! It was very nice. I couldnt eat much, but it was worth every bite.

11. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    I made pizzas a couple nights ago and they were really good. Tonight I'm making chilli so hopefully that will take off the edge.

12. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    it made my mouth water and i let out an audible 'ohhhhhhhh' the second I saw it... I've been having a major pizza craving for over a week now and have resisted all this time. Might not last another day though!

13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'm bumping this one up to the top again to remind people to use BB code instead of HTML code. It keeps and displays aspect ratio correctly on more platforms.

14. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks - don't know how my recent shots ended up not being in BB code. After BB code does rather fit with my name.:wink:

Thanks Luke!

15. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    I don't suppose any of this matters, it you upload directly to the gallery here then insert in post?

16. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    correctamundo

17. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    It happens if you choose to use HTML for something else (eg sometimes I post from flickr on my blog, at wordpress.com, and that requires HTML, not BBCode). It then becomes your default.

18. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    It doesnt. And sometimes I post shots I don't necessarily want on Flickr. However, you will run out of space in the gallery here a whole lot faster than on flickr.

19. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    thanks, good to know this!
    I didn't know it made any difference (can't remember when/why I switched it, but once you switch it to HTML it stays that way. I doesn't default back and I didn't really pay attention to this before.)

20. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Thanks Tilman. On the laptop I use most of the time....it doesn't matter what code is used.....they all display nice. On my work computer, it's a wreck. everything is like a funhouse mirror...and I know people who use other devices struggle with the presentation as well. Hopefully by me re-naming this thread and bumping it to the top it should cut down on it (for awhile)